Is Information Conserved in the Universe?

In summary, information is not conserved in terms of its usefulness, but it is conserved in terms of its underlying physical properties.
windy miller
It's said that information is never destroyed ( I know there is some controversy here regarding black hole information loss but let's put that aside for the moment). But what about created? I information a conserved quantity for the universe as a whole? Is there a consensus on this issue? It seems that information increases naturally in the universe, think of sunspot forming on the sun , this is information for those wishing to protect the power grid from flares. So that would mean information is not conserved. But I appreciate my understanding of the subject is limited so if there's anyone that can enlighten me, would be very grateful.

Space news on Phys.org
Every time you flip a coin you are creating information: 1 bit, to be exact.

bapowell said:
Every time you flip a coin you are creating information: 1 bit, to be exact.
I disagree, or at least find this incomplete. When you flip a coin, you change information, but you didn't create it. The same 1 bit of information existed before you flipped the coin because it had a previous state. I would use the analogy of when you create a coin, you create information and flipping it is just changing state.

So how much information do you create upon minting the coin? Sounds like you're talking about "potential" information or some such idea. Can't I flip a coin arbitrarily many times into the future? Is the number of times I can flip the coin in some way limited by the nature of the minting process?

From my limited knowledge on the subject, and with the caveat that I'm merely trying to dress a quantum-mechanical idea into old Newtonian clothes, I believe the term 'information' as used in this context has got a specific meaning - it's the ability to predict past and future evolution of a system from complete knowledge of its current state. The information is conserved if we can, in principle, draw an unbroken and unique chain of cause and effect between current state and any other state.

So the example in the OP doesn't fit the idea of 'new information', since you can look at the system with those sun spots, and be in principle able to say why they're there: what interactions and particles and fields conspired yesterday to create them today. It's all the same, conserved info.

That's why black holes throw a wrench into this line of thinking - since all infalling stuff gets reduced to just 3 parameters, with no way of probing the interior of the event horizon, you are forever unable to say if the past of some black hole consisted of 10 regular elephants falling into it, or just one elephant, 10 times as big, and made of antimatter.
Thus the information is not conserved in this case, as you cannot derive from the perfect knowledge of the state of the black hole and its Hawking radiation a large fraction of the properties of stuff that fell into it.

In this sense Big Bang is not any sort of new information, as whatever came before uniquely determined what came after.

Last edited:
windy miller said:
It's said that information is never destroyed ( I know there is some controversy here regarding black hole information loss but let's put that aside for the moment). But what about created? I information a conserved quantity for the universe as a whole? Is there a consensus on this issue? It seems that information increases naturally in the universe, think of sunspot forming on the sun , this is information for those wishing to protect the power grid from flares. So that would mean information is not conserved. But I appreciate my understanding of the subject is limited so if there's anyone that can enlighten me, would be very grateful.
It's a little difficult to say precisely, because there isn't anyone unambiguous definition of "information".

In the sense that black holes do not destroy information, however, that information is neither created nor destroyed.

Fundamentally, this comes down to the question of whether or not the laws of physics are unitary. If the laws of physics are unitary, then if you had the complete wavefunction of the entire universe at a given time, then given enough computer power you could calculate the complete wavefunction of the universe at any other point in time (past or future).

This isn't the whole of the story, though. There are other definitions of information. For example, we might want to talk about useful information. In some sense, entropy that is below the maximum represents useful information. This kind of information is decidedly not conserved. As entropy increases, useful information necessarily decreases. We can still produce information in one system, but only by reducing even more information in another system. Note that the information isn't so much "destroyed" as it is scrambled: the information still exists in some sense, but it's been randomized so much that it's a practical impossibility to read the information back.

Related to Is Information Conserved in the Universe?

What is the relationship between information and cosmology?

The relationship between information and cosmology is a complex and ongoing area of study. In simple terms, information in this context refers to the data, patterns, and structures that exist in the universe. Cosmology, on the other hand, is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. Some scientists argue that information is the fundamental building block of the universe, while others see it as a byproduct of physical processes. Regardless, the two are deeply interconnected and influence each other in various ways.

How does information play a role in the formation of the universe?

Information plays a crucial role in the formation of the universe. The Big Bang, which is the prevailing theory of the universe's origin, suggests that all matter and energy were initially compressed into a singularity. This singularity contained all the information needed to create the universe as we know it. As the universe expanded and cooled, this information was transformed into the physical structures we observe today, such as galaxies, stars, and planets.

What is the role of information in understanding the universe's evolution?

Information is essential in understanding the universe's evolution as it allows us to study and analyze the patterns and changes that have occurred over billions of years. By studying the information encoded in cosmic radiation, the cosmic microwave background, and other sources, scientists can gain insights into the early stages of the universe's development. Additionally, information plays a crucial role in theories such as inflation, which attempts to explain the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages.

Can information be created or destroyed in the universe?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Similarly, in the context of information and cosmology, information cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transformed into different forms. For example, through processes such as entropy, information can become increasingly disordered and appear to be lost. However, the information still exists in some form and can potentially be regained through careful analysis.

How does the concept of entropy relate to information and cosmology?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of information and cosmology, entropy plays a crucial role in understanding the universe's evolution. As the universe expands and evolves, the amount of entropy increases, resulting in a gradual increase in disorder. This process is known as the "heat death" of the universe, where all energy is evenly distributed, and no work can be done. However, some scientists argue that the complexity and organization of information in the universe may counteract this process and potentially lead to a new form of order and structure.