Is it bad to take easy courses to raise my GPA?

• Courses
  • Thread starter A2Core
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses Gpa
In summary: Sports courses used to count as general education but now they don't because it's considered a vocational course.In summary, taking easy courses to raise your GPA may not be a bad thing. You may be able to get a job with your engineering degree if you have taken some easy courses.
A2Core
Is it bad to take easy courses to raise my GPA? I'm a senior engineering major right now. I have one more spring term left until I graduate. I could also take a winter course, too.

I have a decent GPA: 3.4/4.0 overall and a 3.85 for my engineering GPA. I have a job offer already for GE's ELDP program. I know that the ELDP program has some connections with the local school for graduate study... it's like I'm almost guaranteed in, but does it look bad (from a graduate school POV) to take courses that are way too easy? Like 4-credit gym classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think as long as you have the specific prerequisite courses that you need to get into the program you're interested in, you can take whatever you want as electives. But keep in mind that some programs won't factor 'bowling 101' into your average.

My advice is to take the classes you are most interested in.

You'd most likely get more bang for your buck by retaking some of the courses you did poorly in previously, if you can handle it.

You probably have almost all your general credits already filled, now would be a good time, as the above poster stated, to take some classes you are interested in outside your major, something fun.

Like 4-credit gym classes?

I think this would be a huge mistake. Part of being a good engineer is having an interest in it. By taking Gym 101 rather than let's say, numerical methods, is going to give the impression that you either only care about your GPA or you went into engineering for reasons other than you like it (money). While GE may not care what you take, future employers may.

After all, why would you take an easy non-related course when you want to be an engineer anyway? You should be taking graduate level math or engineering courses.

If your basically guaranteed a spot in the graduate school you want to go to why are you worried about raising your GPA?

I doubt the school would look down on the class, but proabably won't factor it into their decision to accept you or not. They usually take your major GPA and then look at your core class scores.

Last edited:
bad for what? its good for your gpa, bad for your self respect and intellectual development, but you won't go to hell.

I actually decided to take a 300 level management course... I felt that it would look better than a phys ed class :p

A2Core said:
Is it bad to take easy courses to raise my GPA? I'm a senior engineering major right now. I have one more spring term left until I graduate. I could also take a winter course, too.

Do it. It's called "playing the game". At worst you'll look well-rounded, which apparently what employers look for.

? I didn't know there were such things as "gym courses" which count towards your credits requirement. Even more so, I didn't know they would affect your GPA!

i used to teach at a school where river rafting was a course.

My (large state) school used to offer courses in sports such as tennis, archery, basketball and ultimate. Now they only offer scuba diving courses.

1. Is it really bad to take easy courses to raise my GPA?

It depends on your long-term goals. Taking easy courses may help boost your GPA in the short-term, but it may not adequately prepare you for more challenging courses in the future. This could be a disadvantage when pursuing higher education or applying for jobs that require a strong academic background.

2. Will taking easy courses make me look like a less competitive candidate?

In some cases, yes. Employers and graduate schools may view a transcript full of easy courses as a lack of intellectual rigor and motivation. It is important to strike a balance between challenging yourself and maintaining a good GPA.

3. Can taking easy courses hurt my chances of getting into a good graduate school?

It is possible, as graduate schools typically look for well-rounded candidates with a strong academic record. However, your overall GPA, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation also play a significant role in the admissions process.

4. Is it better to take challenging courses and risk getting a lower grade?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. If you are aiming for a high GPA, taking easier courses may be the better option. However, if you want to challenge yourself and gain a deeper understanding of a subject, taking more difficult courses may be worth the risk.

5. Are there any benefits to taking easy courses?

Yes, there can be. Taking easy courses may give you more time and energy to focus on other activities, such as extracurriculars, internships, or research opportunities. It can also provide a break from more challenging courses and help prevent burnout. However, it is important to strike a balance and not rely solely on easy courses to boost your GPA.