Is it possible for heat to be a physical form?

• Thread starter ARC123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    heat

Main Question or Discussion Point

By physical form I mean stored chemical or actual be a physical thing you can touch. Yes I understand it already is a physical form in atoms but I mean is it possible to have a jar of heat.

Answers and Replies

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You mean like Sterno?

Borek
Mentor
No, you can't have a jar of heat. You also can't have a jar of blue (although you can have a jar of blue paint), you can't have a jar of speed, you can't have a jar of acceleration and you can't have a jar of logic. Plenty of things that can't be jarred.

By physical form I mean stored chemical or actual be a physical thing you can touch.
The phlogiston theory has been falsified by the experimental observation that heat can be produced in any amount without consuming any other substances. One might consider phonons to be heat-particles but I wouldn't call that a chemical.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
By physical form I mean stored chemical or actual be a physical thing you can touch. Yes I understand it already is a physical form in atoms but I mean is it possible to have a jar of heat.
Well, I always use a bucket of BTUs to warm up on those cold mornings. :rolleyes:

But be careful touching the bucket - you can burn yourself. It is full of heat after all. :wink: