Is it possible for heat to be a physical form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a jar of heat and whether it is possible to have one. The speaker clarifies that by physical form, they mean a stored chemical or an actual physical thing that can be touched. They also mention that while heat may be considered a form of energy, it cannot be contained in a jar like other substances. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about using a bucket of BTUs to warm up, but also cautioning against touching it due to the heat it contains.
ARC123
By physical form I mean stored chemical or actual be a physical thing you can touch. Yes I understand it already is a physical form in atoms but I mean is it possible to have a jar of heat.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You mean like Sterno?

No, you can't have a jar of heat. You also can't have a jar of blue (although you can have a jar of blue paint), you can't have a jar of speed, you can't have a jar of acceleration and you can't have a jar of logic. Plenty of things that can't be jarred.

Likes Sancho Panza, ProfuselyQuarky, epenguin and 2 others
ARC123 said:
By physical form I mean stored chemical or actual be a physical thing you can touch.

The phlogiston theory has been falsified by the experimental observation that heat can be produced in any amount without consuming any other substances. One might consider phonons to be heat-particles but I wouldn't call that a chemical.

ARC123 said:
By physical form I mean stored chemical or actual be a physical thing you can touch. Yes I understand it already is a physical form in atoms but I mean is it possible to have a jar of heat.
Well, I always use a bucket of BTUs to warm up on those cold mornings. :rolleyes:

But be careful touching the bucket - you can burn yourself. It is full of heat after all. :wink:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

1. Is heat a physical form?

No, heat is not a physical form. It is a form of energy.

2. How does heat manifest as a physical form?

Heat does not manifest as a physical form. It can be transferred from one object to another, but it does not have a physical presence.

3. Can heat be seen or touched?

No, heat cannot be seen or touched. It is an invisible form of energy.

4. Is heat a solid, liquid, or gas?

Heat is not a solid, liquid, or gas. It is a form of energy that can cause changes in the state of matter.

5. How is heat different from other physical forms?

Unlike other physical forms, heat does not have a mass or a specific shape. It is a form of energy that can be transferred between objects.