Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible for heat to be a physical form?

Tags:
  1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    By physical form I mean stored chemical or actual be a physical thing you can touch. Yes I understand it already is a physical form in atoms but I mean is it possible to have a jar of heat.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean like Sterno?

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, you can't have a jar of heat. You also can't have a jar of blue (although you can have a jar of blue paint), you can't have a jar of speed, you can't have a jar of acceleration and you can't have a jar of logic. Plenty of things that can't be jarred.

5. Apr 26, 2016 #4
    The phlogiston theory has been falsified by the experimental observation that heat can be produced in any amount without consuming any other substances. One might consider phonons to be heat-particles but I wouldn't call that a chemical.

6. Apr 26, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I always use a bucket of BTUs to warm up on those cold mornings. :rolleyes:

But be careful touching the bucket - you can burn yourself. It is full of heat after all. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted