Is it possible to create an air compressor that can deliver 2000lbs of force?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Xyius
Messages
501
Reaction score
4
Hey guys,
This may seem like an odd question but what would it entail to make an air compressor that can deliver 2000lbs of force? (I am not going to try and make one, don't worry :p ) When I say air compressor I mean any mechanism that runs on air. (Like an impact wrench) I ask this because I got a pretty cool idea that involves things running on air pressure and through back of the envelope calculations I have determined I would need an air device that can produce around 2000 lbs of force. Is this at all possible?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A piston in a cylinder with sufficient cross-sectional area can generate whatever force you want, the force = pressure x area. However, air is compressable and will heat up at high pressures, so for high forces, almost incompressable fluids are used in hydraulic equipment.