Is it possible to theoretically determine a battery's amp-hour ratings?

• Thread starter BayAreaMech
  • Start date
In summary, determining the Amp-Hour capacities of a not yet released battery technology is possible through empirical calculations. This can be done by converting the overall capacity rating (in A-hr) to different rates (such as 10hr or 5hr) by knowing the chemical reaction and calculating the required mass or vice versa. However, battery reactions are not linear and will become more complex as it approaches equilibrium.
BayAreaMech
I have been asked to determine the Amp-Hour capacities of a competing battery technology that is not yet released. I'm a bit stumped. I didn't think this was possible. I always thought this was a calculation that had to be determined empirically, but a coworker is insistent that it can be done. Does anyone know how you would take an overall capacity rating (in A-hr, assumed to be the 100-hr rate) and determine the 10hr, 5hr, etc rates? Is this even possible?

Edit: I should note that this is a lead acid battery under investigation.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't see why not. An amp hour is equal to one amp of current for an hour (I think?). An amp is one coulomb per second, so we would need 3600 coulombs of electrons. A coulomb is equivalent to 6.2410^18 electrons.

Assuming we know the chemical reaction that occurs, we could calculate the mass of material required, or vice versa.

That being said, battery reactions are not linear, and it will get much more complicated, because the rate of reaction will decrease as it gets closer to equilibrium.

1. How is the amp-hour rating of a battery determined?

The amp-hour rating of a battery is determined by measuring the amount of current it can supply over a certain period of time. This is typically done by fully charging the battery and then discharging it at a constant current until it reaches a certain cut-off voltage.

2. What factors affect a battery's amp-hour rating?

The amp-hour rating of a battery can be affected by various factors such as temperature, discharge rate, and age. Higher temperatures can decrease the battery's capacity, while higher discharge rates can also reduce the number of amp-hours the battery can provide. Additionally, as a battery ages, its capacity may decrease over time.

3. Is it possible to determine a battery's amp-hour rating without testing it?

No, it is not possible to accurately determine a battery's amp-hour rating without testing it. The amp-hour rating is a measure of the battery's capacity, and this can only be determined through testing. However, manufacturers may provide an estimated amp-hour rating based on the battery's chemistry and design.

4. Can a battery's amp-hour rating change over time?

Yes, a battery's amp-hour rating can change over time. As a battery is used and recharged, its capacity may decrease. Additionally, exposure to extreme temperatures or harsh conditions can also affect the battery's amp-hour rating.

5. Are there any limitations to determining a battery's amp-hour rating theoretically?

Yes, there are limitations to determining a battery's amp-hour rating theoretically. Theoretical calculations may not always accurately reflect the actual performance of a battery, as there are many variables that can affect its capacity. This is why testing is necessary to determine the amp-hour rating of a battery.