Is it scientifically true that cheat meals benefit you?

• Thread starter AchillesWrathfulLove
  • Start date
In summary, having a cheat meal once a week, according to some sources, can help you lose weight by relieving stress and boosting your metabolism. The diet recommended is high in carbs and does not require a permanent lifestyle change.
AchillesWrathfulLove
Having a cheat meal once a week, I have read that whilst being in a caloric deficit your leptin levels drop and this other hormone ghrelin increases, the leptin is responsible, well at high levels, at boosting your metabolism. I don't know I just read it but didn't really understand it.. So what I am saying is, do cheat meals help boost your metabolism and how?

Also what is the ratio of weight loss being about metabolism vs caloric deficit?

Like is it 80% diet 20%metabolism? or something like that

Physics news on Phys.org
From now on, and we know you are not a scientist:
Please tell us where you read the comment you want answered.
This came from somewhere?

I cannot find a reputable resource (using NIH Pubmed) that supports the 'cheat meal' assertion you found. So the best answer right now is 'no'.

Next question:
Also what is the ratio of weight loss being about metabolism vs caloric deficit?

Like is it 80% diet 20%metabolism? or something like that
Let's go back to basics. For this answer, let's define entropy as lost energy (disorder). Physicists may not like this definition but it will help you understand.
Code:
The second Law of Thermodynamics says that 
 [ Energy in ] =  [ Energy out ] + [ entropy ]

[ Energy in ] is food or body fat. Period. Nothing else.
[ Energy out ] is your base metabolism ( staying alive and warm-blooded) + movement. Base metabolism is pretty much fixed for a given human.
[ entropy ] cannot be avoided.

So: you tell us. What do you personally have to do to lose body fat? (hint: movement and caloric intake).

If you want good, correct information go here: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp

Great little calculator there for you. Plus links. If you stop looking for shortcuts or fad diets, and follow what this calculator tells you to do, things will work out very well for you. Otherwise you are creating entropy with no positive result (science joke) :smile:

Likes AchillesWrathfulLove, Evo and pinball1970
AchillesWrathfulLove said:
do cheat meals help boost your metabolism and how?
Depending on your mental disposition it might help you relieve the stress related to a stricth diet and might help to keep you at high spirit.

Regarding the diet itself, there is no way 'cheat meal' is any good.

Achilles, you might want to see a doctor or Registered Dietician Nutritionist. Sites like WebMD have a special section dedicated to weight loss that may help you. We are not experts in diet and nutrition, we know how to look things up, and may have some background knowledge, but you could look these things up yourself. So take the advice you've been given here, and try to get professional help where your specific nutritional needs are concerned. As always, general questions are welcome.

Thanks guys.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

This calls cheat meals a refeed and says its good for you if you are either in extreme deficit for most of the week or have single digit body fat. I eat around 700 calories to 1000 calories a day (I counted the calories in my tuna sandwhich and also in my coffee), but its filling. I think I am going to incorporate it once a week into my diet but my "refeed" will be exactly maintenance and high in carbs like other sources recommend. I also went on WebMD and searched for cheat meals and it said that it is a psychological benefit and it is 90%healthy eating 10%Cheatmeal, so I don't know... I could live without a cheat meal, but hey if it is beneficial then I'm up for it.

Also I know people are against it I don't know why but I am losing weight pretty fast, I think if you have the will power to keep it off then its algood. Thing is people say it has to be a lifestyle change forever with weight loss but really all you have to do is lose the weight and then eat at your maintenance calories and for me 2000 calories equals to 3 tuna sandwhiches or 2 large rump steaks and couple of cokes, so that feels good looking forward to that day.

Last edited:
All the previous posts here (and in your other topics) were based on the assumption that you do some kind of 'diet'.
A tuna sandwich and a coffee for a day, sum @1000 calorie does not counts as real 'diet'. Siding that lone tuna sandwich with some 'cheat meal' is not cheating: it is life saving.

This feels like one step worse than seeking for medical advice. This feels like seeking justification for health-damaging malpractice.
You should really go see your/a doctor with this.

The OP has been given the information he needs. I think we can close this thread now before it goes south.

Likes pinball1970 and jim mcnamara

1. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of cheat meals being beneficial?

Yes, there have been several studies that have shown that incorporating cheat meals into a diet can have positive effects on weight loss and overall health. For example, a study published in the International Journal of Obesity found that participants who had one or two cheat days per week had a lower body mass index (BMI) and were more likely to adhere to their diet long-term compared to those who did not have cheat meals.

2. How do cheat meals benefit the body?

Cheat meals can have both physical and psychological benefits. Physically, they can help boost metabolism and prevent the body from adapting to a reduced calorie diet, which can lead to weight loss plateaus. They can also provide a break from strict dieting, which can help reduce stress and cortisol levels. Psychologically, cheat meals can help prevent feelings of deprivation and promote a healthier relationship with food.

3. Are there any guidelines for incorporating cheat meals into a diet?

It is important to note that cheat meals should not be used as an excuse to binge on unhealthy foods. Rather, they should be planned and balanced within a healthy diet. It is recommended to limit cheat meals to one or two days per week and to still be mindful of portion sizes and overall nutrient intake.

4. Can cheat meals benefit everyone?

Cheat meals may not be suitable for everyone, especially those with certain health conditions or dietary restrictions. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before incorporating cheat meals into a diet. Additionally, it is important to listen to your body and make adjustments as needed.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to having cheat meals?

Cheat meals should be approached with caution and moderation. Eating too many unhealthy foods during a cheat meal can lead to weight gain and other negative health effects. Additionally, relying on cheat meals as a way to justify unhealthy eating habits on a regular basis can be detrimental to overall health and wellness.