Troubleshooting LATEX Equations

In summary, the conversation is about an issue with generating LaTeX equations on a thread. The issue was due to a bracket mistake and the conversation includes tips for properly formatting equations using tex tags and avoiding certain characters that may interfere with the code.
Physics news on Phys.org
You made a bracket mistake:

t = \frac{2*A_{t}\left(\sqrt{z_{1}}-\sqrt{z_{2}}\right)}{C_{d}*A_{o}*\sqrt{2g}}

Three more tips:

1. With long LaTeX expressions like that, you need to be careful to not type 50 characters without a space, because vBulletin will insert a space every 50 characters and break the LaTeX code.

2. When you want the math expression to appear by itself on a new line, use tex tags instead of itex, and don't type newlines before and after the tags. You will get [tex]t = \frac{2*A_{t}\left(\sqrt{z_{1}}-\sqrt{z_{2}}\right)}{C_{d}*A_{o}*\sqrt{2g}},[/tex] instead of

[itex]t = \frac{2*A_{t}\left(\sqrt{z_{1}}-\sqrt{z_{2}}\right)}{C_{d}*A_{o}*\sqrt{2g}}[/itex].

Hit the quote button to see exactly what I did.

3. If you want a multiplication symbol, use \times or \cdot instead of *.

What is LATEX?

LATEX is a typesetting system used for creating high-quality technical and scientific documents. It is particularly popular among mathematicians, scientists, and engineers.

Why are my equations not displaying correctly?

There could be several reasons for this. Make sure you have properly enclosed your equations in \begin{equation} and \end{equation} tags. Also, check for any missing or incorrect symbols or formatting. If the issue persists, try compiling your document again or consult online resources for troubleshooting tips.

How do I insert special symbols and characters in my equations?

To insert special symbols and characters in LATEX equations, you can use the backslash (\) followed by the name of the symbol or character. For example, \alpha for α, \Sigma for Σ, \frac for fractions, and so on. You can also use the appropriate packages to access a wider range of symbols and characters.

How can I align multiple equations in a single line?

You can use the align environment in LATEX to align multiple equations in a single line. Simply enclose each equation in \begin{align} and \end{align} tags and use the & symbol to specify the alignment points. For example, \begin{align} x+y=2 \\ x-y=0 \end{align} will align the two equations at the equal sign.

Can I use LATEX equations in Microsoft Word?

Yes, you can use LATEX equations in Microsoft Word by installing a LATEX-to-Word converter plugin. However, the conversion may not be perfect and some formatting may be lost. It is recommended to use a dedicated LATEX editor for creating and editing equations.