Is Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry an asset or a problem to overc

• News
  • Thread starter Tigers2B1
  • Start date
In summary, the Gallup Poll has found that Laura Bush has an approval rating of 74%. Teresa Heinz Kerry has an approval rating in the 30s --- with this, the influences for one candidate are almost certainly positive, while for the other, almost certainly negative. In light of these findings, the Kerry camp seems to be holding back Teresa Heinz Kerry in order to keep her positive image alive. However, I doubt that her image will change much over the next week or so, short of her adding "Mother" to her name.
Tigers2B1
Laura Bush has an approval rating of 74% (Gallup Poll). Teresa Heinz Kerry has an approval rating in the 30s --- with this, the influences for one candidate are almost certainly positive, while for the other, almost certainly negative.

So -- why doesn’t the Kerry camp stick Teresa on the shelf and be done with her? Teresa doing nothing means doing no harm at this late date – and putting her out there will only draw continuing comparisons to the highly popular Laura Bush. In addition, I doubt very seriously that the perceptions voters have of Teresa will change much over the next week or so, short of Teresa adding "Mother" to her name, and there is always that chance she will lose track and say or do something ----- atypical. Is this what the Kerry camp really wants, despite their statement to the contrary. I can't believe it. I have to wonder if she is still out there due to her personal relationship with the Senator. Has Kerry taken a hard position on this matter?

…As a campaign asset, those two sentences define her strength and weakness. The committed love her for it. But the polls suggests others are disapproving. Laura Bush’s approval ratings are 72 per cent, Mrs Heinz Kerry’s 35 per cent…

…The campaign declares her to be an asset, yet is less than adventurous with her schedule. Every fourth day in the past three months she has campaigned in Pennsylvania, one of the four states she calls home. It is indeed an important swing state once represented in the Senate by her Republican first husband John Heinz, the ketchup heir.

There is a reservation to let her loose, due largely to the heart-warming way in which she has occasionally wandered off message. …

But deep down, there is no chance of her changing. “I cannot change who I am. Win or lose, I cannot change,” she said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1301970,00.html

And so – the ominous last words.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you want to be the one to try to tell her not to speak up?

Editted to add:

Remember, John Kerry's mother didn't necessarily tell Theresa, "Integrity, integrity, integrity."

Do you honestly think anyone says "Well, I do like John Kerry's policies a lot more, and George Bush has been a horrible President, but John Kerry's wife does say things that aren't incredibly lady-like, and George Bush's wife just seems to sit there. You know, I think I'll vote Bush, I'd hate to see how Teresa would decorate the Lincoln Bedroom."

I wouldn't be surprised.

Gokul43201 said:
I wouldn't be surprised.
I dunno, I honestly don't think anyone who would be swayed by the candidates wives would honestly be voting for Kerry anyway. People like that are more like the "George Bush kicks ass, he wears jeans and lives in Texas and stuff, he's like all cowboy-ified and crap like that"

wasteofo2 said:
I dunno, I honestly don't think anyone who would be swayed by the candidates wives would honestly be voting for Kerry anyway.
Are you kidding, Teresa is your typical liberal poster girl. A frumpy, frustrated old broad on a high intake diet of Valium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what she has been doing since her first husband died.
With offices in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C., the Heinz Family Philanthropies are small organizations that generate outsized results. We work to create positive change across the philanthropic spectrum with particular interest in health care, women and health, and the environment. We establish private-and public-sector linkages to drive philanthropic innovation.

http://www.hfp.heinz.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan, don't you understand how public perception workds? She can do all the philanthropic work that she can want, help tons and tons of people by giving away her money etc., but so long as she's an outspoken woman with some sort of accent, no one will like her. People much prefer the coked-up mannequin look that Laura Bush offers, just sitting there and smiling, smiling, smiling...

Robert Zaleski said:
Are you kidding, Teresa is your typical liberal poster girl. A frumpy, frustrated old broad on a high intake diet of Valium.
What does that have to do with people being swayed by the candidates wives?

Last edited:
Last night on The News Hour, on PBS, they quoted something that Bush said while Governer. He said that Laura is the perfect wife for a politician.

In short, she knows her place. She keeps her mouth shut. Good little Laura.

wasteofo2 said:
Ivan, don't you understand how public perception workds? She can do all the philanthropic work that she can want, help tons and tons of people by giving away her money etc.,

So long as she gives it away and not the U.S. Government in the form of deficit reduction and economic growth, not to mention entitlements like health care.

The Kerrys paid 12.8% of their income in taxes last year, all legally, while the average American paid about 20%.

I paid about 12%.

Oh yes, she works for free. She refuses to be paid for her work.

Ivan Seeking said:
I paid about 12%.

Yes, but you don't make millions.

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh yes, she works for free. She refuses to be paid for her work.

Doesn't get paid by whom, herself? Smart gal, avoid more taxes.

onegermanbeerglass said:
Yes, but you don't make millions.

You have no idea what I make. I see your mind is made up already.

Doesn't get paid by whom, herself? Smart gal, avoid more taxes.

And if she was paid you would accuse her of milking the charity.

A Bush fan no doubt.

Ivan Seeking said:
You have no idea what I make. I see your mind is made up already.

OK, a valid response, I am indeed making an assumption. That assumption being that you do not make millions like the Kerrys.

You are correct that you could alternatively be a liar about the taxes you paid, or a millionaire who manipulates the tax system.

I appologize profusely for assuming you were the better of the three options. Feel free to correct my error if you wish...

Ivan Seeking said:
And if she was paid you would accuse her of milking the charity.

A Bush fan no doubt.

Because I don't care for Teresa Heinz-Kerry, you make the assumption that I'm a Bush supporter? I thought that's exactly what we were saying was silly.

Further more, your assumptions about what I mean does not identify my vote nor my ideology. Especially since I'll I've done is ask questions and state facts (not including my comment about your wages).

Ivan Seeking said:
In short, she knows her place. She keeps her mouth shut. Good little Laura.
The only first lady/first lady "candidate" that I've had a strong opinion about in recent memory is Hillary Clinton. I didn't much like Bill, but he was elected. She wasn't.

From what I understand (I haven't paid much attention), Heinz-Kerry mostly just speaks her mind (a opposed to towing the party line or humming "stand by your man" while drawing up divorce papers like Hyp-I mean Hillary). She's ok by me.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
The only first lady/first lady "candidate" that I've had a strong opinion about in recent memory is Hillary Clinton. I didn't much like Bill, but he was elected. She wasn't.
You think you had problems with the unelected people in the Clinton whitehouse? Oy, just imagine how people like me feel about that meshuggenah Paul Wolfowitz. And talk about his boss, oy gavult, what a buncha unelected crazys we have running our lives.

russ_watters said:
From what I understand (I haven't paid much attention), Heinz-Kerry mostly just speaks her mind (a opposed to towing the party line or humming "stand by your man" while drawing up divorce papers like Hyp-I mean Hillary). She's ok by me.
You pretty much got it.

wasteofo2 said:
You think you had problems with the unelected people in the Clinton whitehouse? Oy, just imagine how people like me feel about that meshuggenah Paul Wolfowitz. And talk about his boss, oy gavult, what a buncha unelected crazys we have running our lives.
Whoa, hold the phone there buddy - Wolfowitz may not be elected, but he was selected by the president (presumably for his qualifications for the job), and confirmed by Congress. He has a real job in government. There's a world of difference between that and the First Lady.

russ_watters said:
Whoa, hold the phone there buddy - Wolfowitz may not be elected, but he was selected by the president (presumably for his qualifications for the job), and confirmed by Congress. He has a real job in government. There's a world of difference between that and the First Lady.
Oh man, imagine if the first lady had to be aproved by Congress.

That would be great. :rofl:

wasteofo2 said:
Do you honestly think anyone says "Well, I do like John Kerry's policies a lot more, and George Bush has been a horrible President, but John Kerry's wife does say things that aren't incredibly lady-like, and George Bush's wife just seems to sit there. You know, I think I'll vote Bush, I'd hate to see how Teresa would decorate the Lincoln Bedroom."

We all know Hillary ran the world for eight years, and if Teresa appears dangerous or risky, then the subconscious effect would be to elan away from that, she will after all have an effect on her husband while he is in office. No one here can say spouses do not have a strong influence on each other.

did anyone see the pbs special where Terry heinz kerry was talking about the first lady possibly holding a cabinet position?

russ_watters said:
Whoa, hold the phone there buddy - Wolfowitz may not be elected, but he was selected by the president (presumably for his qualifications for the job), and confirmed by Congress.

Perhaps wo2 intended to say 'Elliot Abrams' instead of 'Wolfie' ?

wasteofo2 said:
Oh man, imagine if the first lady had to be aproved by Congress.

That would be great. :rofl:
Entertaining, anyway...
kat said:
did anyone see the pbs special where Terry heinz kerry was talking about the first lady possibly holding a cabinet position?
No, but wasn't there talk of one for Hillary to make her de facto power more official?

Actully, what would have been even funnier is if Bill had created a position for her only to have the next President dispand the post.

franznietzsche said:
We all know Hillary ran the world for eight years
I wasn't aware, learn something new every day I guess.

1. Is Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry a scientist?

No, Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry is not a scientist. She is a philanthropist and the wife of John Kerry, a former United States Secretary of State.

2. What is Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry's educational background?

Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry has a bachelor's degree in Romance languages and literature from the University of Geneva.

3. What is Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry's connection to science?

Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry's connection to science is through her husband, John Kerry, who has a degree in political science and has been involved in environmental and climate change issues.

4. Has Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry made any contributions to science?

Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry has not made any notable contributions to science. Her focus has been on philanthropy and humanitarian work.

5. Is Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry considered an asset or a problem in overcoming global challenges?

This is a subjective question and opinions may vary. However, Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry has been actively involved in various humanitarian and social causes, which could be seen as a positive contribution towards overcoming global challenges.