Is mass relevant on a frictionless surface?

In summary, the force of friction is dependent on mass (μk * mg) and with two masses it essentially becomes Mk *2mg. On a frictionless surface, a constant force applied at a single instant would continue to accelerate an object. However, if there is no friction, the velocity would be constant in the absence of other forces. The velocity for a mass m with a constant force F applied for a time t is v = F*t/m.
strategist
I was looking at a problem: http://gyazo.com/c872ea999197823a42568809f9d97d3f
and I understood that the reason that the force would have to be greater on a surface with friction because the equation for the force of friction is dependent on mass (μk * mg) and with two masses it essentially becomes Mk *2mg.

But the explanation: http://gyazo.com/43b305b3a9159d23ab94fb722a9454d8
got me thinking of what would happen if the surface were frictionless? If I want to push something to a constant speed on a frictionless surface, that would involve a force being applied at a single instant, wouldn't it? Pushing it consistently even with with the same force would continue to accelerate it, I would think. And the reasoning provided by this book implies that the whole reason it would take more force is due to the frictional force applied by the floor on the bottom block.
I can understand that mass is relevant when trying to constantly accelerate a block because F/m = a but does that apply to forces applied only at a single instant in time.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no friction, then the velocity would be constant in the absence of applied or other forces.

Dr. Courtney said:
If there is no friction, then the velocity would be constant in the absence of applied or other forces.
Oh, I understand that. But what I'm asking is if the mass were greater and the same force were applied, would the velocity be any different?

Sure. A constant force F applied for a time t, gives an impulse F*t.

The resulting velocity v for a mass m will be v = F*t/m

Likes strategist

What is a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is a theoretical surface that has zero resistance or friction to the movement of an object. This means that an object can move across the surface without any force acting against it, allowing it to continue moving indefinitely.

How does mass affect movement on a frictionless surface?

On a frictionless surface, mass does not have a direct effect on movement. This is because there is no friction to create resistance against the movement of the object. Therefore, an object with a large mass will move just as easily as an object with a small mass on a frictionless surface.

Is mass relevant on a frictionless surface?

In terms of movement, mass is not relevant on a frictionless surface. However, mass does play a role in the force and acceleration of an object. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to mass times acceleration. So, while mass may not directly affect movement on a frictionless surface, it can affect the force needed to move an object or the acceleration of that object.

Do all objects move at the same speed on a frictionless surface?

Yes, on a frictionless surface, all objects will move at the same speed regardless of their mass. This is because there is no force acting against the objects, so they will all continue to move at a constant velocity.

Can friction exist on a frictionless surface?

No, by definition, a frictionless surface has no friction. Friction is created by the interaction between two surfaces, and on a frictionless surface, there is no surface for the object to interact with and create friction. Therefore, friction cannot exist on a frictionless surface.