Is my citation technique a problem?

• Thread starter John421
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been paraphrasing content from sources for a long time, but has recently been told that their method is vague and does not clearly distinguish between their own ideas and those taken from the sources. They are currently using the Harvard method, which they do not prefer as it interrupts the flow of their writing. The speaker suggests using phrases such as "According to [blah], ..." and "In [blah], it was shown that ..." to make the citation part of the sentence structure. They also recommend including titles in the list of references as it helps identify relevant papers and allows for a more thorough search. Additionally, they mention the possibility of referencing preprints, though this is not common.
John421
I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, and I've never been told off for doing it until now. However, I have recently been informed by someone that what I'm doing is vague and doesn't properly communicate what is mine and what is being taken from the source. I'm forced to use the harvard method at the moment (which I don't particularly like as I feel it damages the flow of the text).

Scenario 1: I read from a source and I paraphrase the relevant parts of the text into 3 sentences

Result: Sentence 1. Sentence 2. Sentence 3 (author, date).

Scenario 2: I read two different sources and I paraphrase the material into one paragraph. Sentence 1 and sentence 2 came from source A. Sentence 3 and sentence 4 came from source B.

Result: Sentence 1. Sentence 2 (Author A, date). Sentence 3. Sentence 4 (Author B, date).

Scenario 3: I read two different sources and paraphrase the material into one paragraph. All sentences are a mix of both sources.

Result: Sentence 1. Sentence 2. Sentence 3. Sentence 4 (Author A, date; Author B, date).

Physics news on Phys.org
Scenario 3 should be avoided when possible.

Consider using phrases like "According to [blah], ..." and "In [blah], it was shown that ...", etc. This is very clear and makes the citation part of your sentence structure.

Also, I don't know what is standard in your field, but in my field, one has the option of including the actual title in the list of references or not. Frankly, though, it drives me nuts when the title is not included, because I can't easily tell which papers might be most relevant to go dig up (plus, without a title, they can be much more difficult to find!). Always include the titles; it helps make it even more clear why you're citing that paper.

Ben Niehoff said:
Also, I don't know what is standard in your field, but in my field, one has the option of including the actual title in the list of references or not. Frankly, though, it drives me nuts when the title is not included, because I can't easily tell which papers might be most relevant to go dig up (plus, without a title, they can be much more difficult to find!). Always include the titles; it helps make it even more clear why you're citing that paper.

I like this about the titles a lot.
If allowed a reference to preprint is nice too, this quite rare though.
In general I found preprint references in (master's) theses.

1. What is the importance of proper citation techniques?

Proper citation techniques are essential in giving credit to the original sources of information used in a research paper. It also allows readers to locate and verify the sources used, and demonstrates the credibility and integrity of the author's work.

2. How can I know if my citation technique is a problem?

If you are unsure about your citation technique, you can consult a style guide or ask your instructor for feedback. You can also use citation generators to ensure accuracy and consistency in your citations.

3. What are the consequences of improper citation techniques?

Improper citation techniques can result in plagiarism, which is a serious academic offense. It can also lead to a loss of credibility and potentially lower grades for the paper.

4. Are there different citation techniques for different fields of study?

Yes, there are different citation styles used in different fields of study. For example, the American Psychological Association (APA) style is commonly used in social sciences, while the Modern Language Association (MLA) style is often used in the humanities.

5. Is it okay to use someone else's citation technique?

It is important to use the citation technique specified by your instructor or required by the style guide. However, you can use someone else's citation technique as a reference and adapt it to fit the specific requirements of your paper.