1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my methodology for checking differentiability and analyticity correct?

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    State the Cauchy-Riemann equations and use them to show that the function defined by f(z) = |z|^2 is differentiable only at z = 0. Find f′(0). Where is f analytic?

3. The attempt at a solution

f(z) = |z|^2 = (x^2 + y^2)

[itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] = 2x, [itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex] = 0

[itex]\frac{du}{dy}[/itex] = 2y, [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex] = 0

So x and y must equal 0 for the C.R equations to hold, thus z = 0 + 0 = 0

So this proves they are only differentiable when z = 0.

f'(0) = 2|0| = 0

I'm not sure about the analytic part, f(z) = |z|^2 would be a parabola, so if it's only differentiable when z = 0, i.e. at the origin then it can't be analytic, because an e-neighbourhood at that point will yield points not on the parabolic line, therefore it's not analytic. Is this right or wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2
    I just found out that f'(z) = [itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] + i[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

So according to this, f'(z) = 2x + 0 = 2x

Which is 2(Re(z)), not the same thing as what I said earlier about f'(z) = 2|z| = 2[itex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]

In either case f'(0) = 0

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    Hmm, just went over it again and realised, that if it's differentiable only when x = 0, and y = 0, then it's only differentiable when it's on the axes, and hence not analytic because an e-neighbourhood of any size on the axis is a point outside the axis, and hence not differentiable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook