Is My Course Load Too Much for a Physics Degree in 2 Years?

• Thread starter carboy79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schedule
In summary: University of Illinois this Fall.In summary, the author is planning on returning to college to receive a physics degree, and recommends following a schedule that includes General Physics II, Calc III, Differential Equations, Computer Programming (learning basics of C++), Intermediate Mechanics, Intermediate Modern Physics, Intermediate Lab, Mathematical Physics, Thermal Statistical Physics, and Quantum Mechanics I. Additionally, the author is considering a degree in math, which would require taking three math classes in each summer following these semesters. If following this schedule is too demanding, the author suggests finding a professor who can cover the class material for you.
carboy79
Hey everyone, sorry in advance for the lengthy post (at least vertically). In a nutshell, I've already received a bachelor's degree in political science, but have decided to go back to undergrad to receive a physics degree since it's my passion. Since I'm already behind schedule, I'm hoping to receive my degree in 2 years, and I'll be able to do so if I follow the following schedule... but is it too demanding/too much to handle?

Fall

General Physics II
Calc III
Differential Equations
Computer programming (learning basics of C++)

Spring

Intermediate Mechanics
Intermediate Modern Physics
Intermediate Lab
Mathematical Physics
Thermal Statistical PhysicsFall

Intermediate E&M
Quantum Mechanics I
Advanced Lab
Particle and Nuclear Physics
Linear Algebra

Spring

Quantum Mechanics II
Advanced Dynamics
Optics
Complex Analysis (Or another useful math class)Also, on a side note, I'm contemplating a degree in math as well, which would require basically taking 3 math classes in each summer following these semesters... any thoughts on that? I'm eventually hoping to go to grad school. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... thanks. Also keep in mind that I'm hoping to find research positions with professors or something similar, which would take up some of my time as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

In terms of academic load, the schedule is fine.
But I don't think that having Quantum Mechanics I along at the same Particle Physics is a good idea (this depends on the content of the Particle Physics lecture), as typically QM I is a prerequisite for particle physics.

The only way you can really find out is by trying it. Some people can handle that much, some people can handle more, some people need less. There's no 'one-size-fits-all'.

Personally I took a heavy load this semester and unfortunately I didn't do as well in each subject as I wish I did, or know I could have if I took a smaller load. Going through the Degree early is nice, but you shouldn't harm your potential marks in any way, especially if you want to get into grad school.

The second Fall semester looks like it might be a little crowded. Is it possible to move the Linear Algebra up to a summer or winter semester? I don't know about your school, but at mine, E&M and Quantum are two of the most difficult subjects offered.

Maybe I'm missing something. That looks like a couple of standard years out of a physics degree. In two of the semesters you've only listed four courses, so presumably you're planning on filling out the spare time with some electives.

Also - two years? Unless your system is different, an undergradute degree is ususally awarded based on completed credit-hours of course work. Only two years of a standard course load won't be sufficient to graduate. Hence it appears that you're assuming you will receive credit for some courses taken during your previous degree - I would urge you to make absolutely sure that you can do that.

The only part that seems slightly crazy is doing calc III concurrently with ODEs. Never heard of that being done.

Yea, I thought it was odd doing EM and QM just as you learned Linear Algebra.

don't get burned out.

Jack21222 said:
The second Fall semester looks like it might be a little crowded. Is it possible to move the Linear Algebra up to a summer or winter semester? I don't know about your school, but at mine, E&M and Quantum are two of the most difficult subjects offered.

Yes I could take Linear Algebra during the Summer before these two classes... which I was thinking about doing because I heard that you should have a good knowledge of Linear algebra before taking quantum. This is just a hypothetical schedule... i could move some things around here and there... but not much because some of these classes are only offered in spring or fall, and so i have to take them then.

Choppy said:
Maybe I'm missing something. That looks like a couple of standard years out of a physics degree. In two of the semesters you've only listed four courses, so presumably you're planning on filling out the spare time with some electives.

Also - two years? Unless your system is different, an undergradute degree is ususally awarded based on completed credit-hours of course work. Only two years of a standard course load won't be sufficient to graduate. Hence it appears that you're assuming you will receive credit for some courses taken during your previous degree - I would urge you to make absolutely sure that you can do that.

Since I've already received a degree, I have completed all necessary electives and general education courses, and thus can just focus on physics classes. This schedule that I posted is sufficient to graduate with a BS in physics. I don't really care that much about anonymity, so if it makes any difference, my first degree is from University of Florida, and I'm going to attend Florida State University for physics

If possible, although it's not a big deal actually, differential equations is more useful in physics than linear algebra (although linear algebra does have applications to physics, diffy equations is even more so).

carboy79 said:
Since I've already received a degree, I have completed all necessary electives and general education courses, and thus can just focus on physics classes.

How can you have classes that are counting for two degrees? That doesn't seem right!

cristo said:
How can you have classes that are counting for two degrees? That doesn't seem right!

Major in mathematics AND physics, or mathematics and computer science, or chemistry and physics, or english and journalism, or...

andyroo said:
If possible, although it's not a big deal actually, differential equations is more useful in physics than linear algebra (although linear algebra does have applications to physics, diffy equations is even more so).

I don't completely agree with this. At the undergraduate level, you can get through upper division classical mechanics and electrodynamics and thermodynamics only having a vague notion of what a differential equation is. Knowing how to check an ansatz is all you really need. On the other hand, doing well in quantum mechanics is very dependent on your knowledge of linear algebra and being very comfortable with almost everything you'd learn in a linear algebra class. You can get through electrodynamics not knowing what a system of first-order ODEs is, but you're not going to get through quantum mechanics if you understand what eigenvectors are.

Sure, differential equations are used in more classes than linear algebra, but the majority of the differential equations you'll run into in undergraduate level physics classes are ones you would be able to solve after week 1 of a differential equations class.

cristo said:

I don't know about the OP's school, but the University I attend has the following policy:

A maximum of 90 transferable credits of undergraduate course work will be applied toward the second bachelor's degree. In addition, students must complete a minimum of 30 credits in residence at TU and meet all the requirements of the “new” major. At least one-half of the “new” major credits must be completed at Towson since the completion of the first degree. Each student must complete an advanced writing course. All other General Education requirements are considered to have been met through the first degree.

cristo said:
The idea is that with two degrees you should know as much as if you combined two persons who took degree A and degree B. Both of these could have taken the same gen ed and such, so the only difference is the actual degree requirement which is why it isn't strange at all to have transferable credits.

I don't think it's a good idea to take particle and nuclear physics together with QM (also move Linear algebra up, because that's needed in QM). Both particle and nuclear physics lean heavily on QM. Depending on how far the course goes in particly physics you will encounter some quantum field theory, so then you'll need a good understanding already of non-relativistic QM.

For nuclear physics this is not such a problem. You'll only need basic QM and that you'll learn in a few courses allready.

Last edited:
eXorikos said:
I don't think it's a good idea to take particle and nuclear physics together with QM (also move Linear algebra up, because that's needed in QM). Both particle and nuclear physics lean heavily on QM. Depending on how far the course goes in particly physics you will encounter some quantum field theory, so then you'll need a good understanding already of non-relativistic QM.

For particle physics this is not such a problem. You'll only need basic QM and that you'll learn in a few courses allready.

You may be right that I'd be better off taking this course later, but according to my university the only prerequisites for this class are Differential Equations and Introduction to Modern Physics. Here is the description given by the school: "This course examines the properties of nuclei and particles, nuclear and particle decays, the Standard Model, and accelerator and detector techniques."

And to those who were wondering how credits from one degree transfer to another degree... it's pretty self explanatory. For example a person who is majoring in Art history and a person who is majoring in Mathematics are both required to take a certain amount of elective and general education classes. Since I've already completed all those classes, I only have to complete the required physics classes in order to receive a bachelors degree.

eXorikos said:

For particle physics this is not such a problem. You'll only need basic QM and that you'll learn in a few courses allready.
It is obviously an overview course since otherwise you would never combine nuclear and particle physics in a single course. Also I think that your last sentence refers to nuclear rather than particle physics...

Klockan3 said:
It is obviously an overview course since otherwise you would never combine nuclear and particle physics in a single course. Also I think that your last sentence refers to nuclear rather than particle physics...

I've corrected it.

If it's an overview course, then it's not a problem. But I would think that an overview is already included in Intermediate modern physics?

eXorikos said:
If it's an overview course, then it's not a problem. But I would think that an overview is already included in Intermediate modern physics?
But why else would you combine the topics? I think that it is more like a nuclear physics course with an introduction to particle physics since I think that they don't do particle physics much at all in any general modern physics course. Doing particle physics properly is a tough course in itself and on a whole different level than nuclear physics so why would anyone ever come with the idea to combine those topics in one course unless you mostly do the particle physics that relates somewhat to nuclear?

We did a fenomenologic part in our general modern physics course. Next were two separate courses on nuclear physics and particle physics. Although it seems highly unlikely that they would combine those two in one course indeed.

I suppose the curriculum is going to vary from school to school, but here is my experience.

ODE is absolutely essential for all non-intro physics. There's nothign wrong with taking ODE at the same time as Calc III (that's actually how OU has it set up). It would be extremely helpful to complete Linear Algebra before Quantum Mechanics though, as it is vital (though at OU, Linear Algebra isn't required for physics; I took it as part of my math major. I don't know how anyone else survived quantum without it).

Yeah I took ODE and Calc III together; also Linear Algebra on top of these two. It did not conflict at all, got A's on all of them, it was an enjoyable semester having three maths.

The only semester that looks like it may be too rough is your second fall semester. The physics courses are tough, but having them together isn't uncommon. The thing I'd be worried about is having linear algebra that semester.
Is that an advanced linear algebra? Or is it the first linear algebra you've had?

If it's an advanced course that will talk about vector spaces, dual spaces, determinant properties, nilpotent properties, etc., then (although it will be an additional difficult class) it should be fine.

If it's a first linear algebra where you'll be doing basic matrix operations, row reduction, etc., then you may have a rough time in Quantum. (assuming the quantum is going to involve linear algebra heavily).

Last edited:
Troponin said:
The only semester that looks like it may be too rough is your second fall semester. The physics courses are tough, but having them together isn't uncommon. The thing I'd be worried about is having linear algebra that semester.
Is that an advanced linear algebra? Or is it the first linear algebra you've had?

If it's an advanced course that will talk about vector spaces, dual spaces, determinant properties, nilpotent properties, etc., then (although it will be an additional difficult class) it should be fine.

If it's a first linear algebra where you'll be doing basic matrix operations, row reduction, etc., then you may have a rough time in Quantum. (assuming the quantum is going to involve linear algebra heavily).

Unfortunatley I must take quantum I and E&M in the same semester because they are only offered in the fall. I think I will take linear algebra the previous summer before this fall semester to help prepare for quantum. It would be my first linear algebra class... do you think this will hurt me for the quantum I class?

carboy79 said:
Unfortunatley I must take quantum I and E&M in the same semester because they are only offered in the fall. I think I will take linear algebra the previous summer before this fall semester to help prepare for quantum. It would be my first linear algebra class... do you think this will hurt me for the quantum I class?

Keep in mind that Linear Algebra is different than calculus or ODE in the sense that it is not a straight computations course. As was previously said, it might be proof-heavy (vector spaces, transformations, eigenvectors, etc) since some colleges use this class as an intro to higher maths. However, it is not unconquerable, as long as you take time to rationlize the concepts and do lots of practice you should be fine.

First, you want to take Linear Algebra as soon as possible, since it's applied heavily in many physics classes, so you'd take that as soon as you take Multivariable Calculus. Also, I don't think it's a great idea to take Differential Equations at the same time as Multivariable Calculus, so I would suggest taking that in the Spring instead. Other than that, I actually think your schedule is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your schedule is very doable, for someone who is decently smart and hardworking. I am doing approximately the same schedule for my freshman/sophomore yr, and it's pretty chill so far.

My friend, you're scheduele isn't that crazy. For a comparision, next semmester I'm taking advanced linear algebra (hilbert space type stuff), calculus 3, number theory, ODEs, and a physics course

This person is cramming a Physics degree into two years after not having studied math or physics for a long time, and you are doing the third year of a math major. I'd say the the OP's schedule is somewhat more difficult than yours.

Gib Z said:
This person is cramming a Physics degree into two years after not having studied math or physics for a long time, and you are doing the third year of a math major. I'd say the the OP's schedule is somewhat more difficult than yours.

Its true that I hadn't studied math or physics since high school pretty much, but maybe I should've mentioned that this summer I'm enrolled in Physics I and Calc II at community college and am acing them. However those are only two classes more on the elementary side, so I still don't know how I'll fare with this schedule. Gonna give it my best though.

1. What is the average course load for a physics degree in 2 years?

The average course load for a physics degree in 2 years is typically around 15-18 credits per semester. However, this can vary depending on the specific program and the student's individual capabilities.

2. How many courses should I take per semester for a physics degree in 2 years?

It is recommended to take around 4-5 courses per semester for a physics degree in 2 years. This will allow you to complete the required coursework in a timely manner while also giving you enough time to focus on each course.

3. Is it possible to complete a physics degree in 2 years with a heavy course load?

It is possible to complete a physics degree in 2 years with a heavy course load, but it may be challenging. It is important to consider your own capabilities and workload before taking on a heavy course load to ensure you can manage it successfully.

4. How can I manage a heavy course load for a physics degree in 2 years?

To manage a heavy course load for a physics degree in 2 years, it is important to prioritize your coursework and create a study schedule. It is also helpful to seek support from professors, classmates, and academic advisors if needed.

5. What are the consequences of taking on too much course work for a physics degree in 2 years?

Taking on too much course work for a physics degree in 2 years can lead to burnout, stress, and a decline in academic performance. It is important to find a balance and prioritize your mental and physical well-being while pursuing a degree in a challenging field like physics.