Is Newton I independent of Newton II?

In summary: Newton needed a statement about Change requiring a Force and the basic Maths of N2 would have been foreign to most people in his time. N1 was necessary in its context.
vco
If Newton II is defined as ##\sum F = \dot{p}## and ##p = mv##, why do we consider Newton I as a separate law for cases where ##\sum F = 0##? Is Newton I really independent of Newton II?

Physics news on Phys.org
vco said:
If Newton II is defined as ##\sum F = \dot{p}## and ##p = mv##, why do we consider Newton I as a separate law for cases where ##\sum F = 0##? Is Newton I really independent of Newton II?
Newton's first law is spelt out to repudiate the Aristotelian position that objects will naturally come to rest. With that out the way, Newton's 2nd law explains how they actually behave.

Likes sophiecentaur
Michael Price said:
Newton's first law is spelt out to repudiate the Aristotelian position that objects will naturally come to rest. With that out the way, Newton's 2nd law explains how they actually behave.
So there is no strict reason we couldn't state that there are only 2 laws of motion instead of 3?

Last edited:
vco said:
Often the first law is considered a definition of inertial reference frames and the second law is considered a definition of forces.

Likes Michael Price
Dale said:
Often the first law is considered a definition of inertial reference frames and the second law is considered a definition of forces.
That makes sense, but I don't see why we couldn't attribute both of these definitions to the second law.

vco said:
That makes sense, but I don't see why we couldn't attribute both of these definitions to the second law.
The second law only holds in a reference frame where the first law holds.

vco said:
Hmm, maybe it is possible, but I don’t see an obvious way (and I haven’t seen anyone do something like that). You need to define an inertial frame (so that acceleration is defined) and force.

For inertial frames we take an isolated object (no interactions) and inertial frames are frames where that object moves in a straight line at a constant speed. That is the first law.

Then for the second law we need an object that is experiencing some force (one or more interactions). To define forces. That is the second law.

To define two things from one scenario/equation seems difficult to me. I am not sure how it could be done.

Likes DaveE
I think the second law implies the first, but the converse is not true. For a particle could be obeying a bizarre equation of motion which says that the particle will not accelerate if there's no force.

kent davidge said:
I think the second law implies the first, but the converse is not true.
I don’t know how without an independent definition of either an inertial frame (needed to define acceleration) or force.

Law I is not a consequence of Law II. In modern parlance Law I is the assertion that all inertial reference frames are equivalent.

@vco Your observation shows that you have been 'thinking about' the subject and it is always worth while looking at Science (and the whole of life, for that matter) from a variety of viewpoints.
Newton needed a statement about Change requiring a Force and the basic Maths of N2 would have been foreign to most people in his time. N1 was necessary in its context.

Likes vanhees71

1. Is Newton's First Law independent of Newton's Second Law?

Yes, Newton's First Law (also known as the Law of Inertia) states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This law is independent of Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How are Newton's First and Second Laws related?

While they are independent laws, Newton's First and Second Laws are related in that they both describe the behavior of objects in motion and the role of forces in causing changes in motion. Newton's First Law can be thought of as a special case of Newton's Second Law, where the net force acting on an object is zero and therefore the acceleration is also zero.

3. Can you explain the difference between Newton's First and Second Laws?

Newton's First Law describes the behavior of objects at rest or in motion with a constant velocity, while Newton's Second Law describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. In simpler terms, the First Law explains what happens to an object when no forces are acting on it, while the Second Law explains what happens when forces are applied to an object.

4. Why are Newton's Laws important?

Newton's Laws are important because they provide a fundamental understanding of how objects behave in the presence of forces. These laws are the basis of classical mechanics and are essential for understanding motion, energy, and other physical phenomena. They also serve as the foundation for more advanced concepts in physics.

5. How did Newton come up with his Laws of Motion?

Isaac Newton developed his Laws of Motion in the late 17th century based on his observations and experiments on the motion of objects. He combined these laws with his law of universal gravitation to create a comprehensive theory of mechanics. Newton's Laws have been tested and verified countless times and are still used today to explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion.