Is organic chemistry employed in fab'ing graphene ICs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between organic chemistry and the fabrication of microprocessors using graphene. The speaker questions whether knowledge of organic chemistry is necessary for this process and clarifies that graphenes are not heavily influenced by organic chemistry.
dubious9
Hello, I am interested in possibly fabricating microprocessors if I make it through school. I have yet to take my first course in organic chemistry. Will I have to know anything about organic chemistry if I am to fabricate microprocessors? Do you know if organic chemistry is employed in the schemes to fabricate using graphene (the carbon allotrope)? Just my cents--I have had General Chemistry (inorganic) and graphene is carbon based and its lattice looks like the ring molecules in an organic compound.

Engineering news on Phys.org
dubious9 said:
Will I have to know anything about organic chemistry if I am to fabricate microprocessors?

Hardly anything about organic chemistry, which is a wide and rich study, applies to graphenes. If I were interested in cutting edge computer science I wouldn't worry about CHON chemistry.

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of carbon-containing compounds. It focuses on the structure, properties, and reactions of organic molecules, which are essential in understanding the formation and function of living organisms.

2. How is organic chemistry used in fabricating graphene ICs?

Organic chemistry plays a crucial role in fabricating graphene ICs. It is used to synthesize the organic molecules that are used as precursors or templates for growing graphene, as well as to functionalize the surface of graphene to improve its properties. Organic chemistry is also employed in the design and synthesis of graphene-based electronic devices and components.

3. What are the advantages of using organic chemistry in fabricating graphene ICs?

Using organic chemistry in the fabrication of graphene ICs offers several advantages. It allows for the precise control of the size, shape, and orientation of graphene, which is essential for achieving high-quality and uniform graphene layers. Organic molecules also provide a stable scaffold for growing graphene, allowing for the creation of complex and functional graphene-based structures.

4. Are there any challenges in using organic chemistry for fabricating graphene ICs?

Yes, there are some challenges in using organic chemistry for fabricating graphene ICs. One of the main challenges is the limited availability of suitable organic molecules that can be used as precursors or templates for growing graphene. Another challenge is the complex and delicate nature of organic reactions, which require careful control and optimization to achieve the desired results.

5. How does the use of organic chemistry impact the performance of graphene ICs?

The use of organic chemistry can greatly impact the performance of graphene ICs. By carefully selecting and designing organic molecules, researchers can tailor the properties of graphene to meet specific application requirements. This can lead to improved electrical, mechanical, and thermal properties, making graphene ICs more efficient and versatile in various electronic devices and systems.