Is phi the Actual Angle on an Ellipse?

• Thread starter elegysix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the conversation discusses the parameterization of an ellipse in vector form. It is shown that the parameters phi and theta are not equivalent unless a equals b. The statement holds true for circles, but not for ellipses. Additionally, phi is a parameter and not an actual angle.
elegysix
given an ellipse in vector form
r(phi)=a*cos(phi)i +b*sin(phi)j
where i and j are the unit vectors for x and y,
then y= b*sin(phi), and x = a*cos(phi).
tan(phi) = y / x ,
but y/x=(b/a)*tan(phi)
which implies 1 = b/a or b=a
which is false.

What is the deal?
doing the same for a circle leads to the true statement, 1=1.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is wrong is that in your parameterization:

r(phi)=a*cos(phi)i +b*sin(phi)j

the parameter phi is not equal to the polar coordinate angle theta unless a = b.

I never mentioned anything about polar coordinates, or its angle theta.
Since r is in cartesian components,
y must be equal to b*sin([tex]\phi[/tex]),
and x must be equal to a*cos([tex]\phi[/tex]), right?
and since they are perpendicular, they form a right triangle with r as the hypotenuse... then the tangent of that angle, tan([tex]\phi[/tex]) must equal y/x, no?

elegysix said:
I never mentioned anything about polar coordinates, or its angle theta.
Since r is in cartesian components,
y must be equal to b*sin([tex]\phi[/tex]),
and x must be equal to a*cos([tex]\phi[/tex]), right?
and since they are perpendicular, they form a right triangle with r as the hypotenuse... then the tangent of that angle, tan([tex]\phi[/tex]) must equal y/x, no?

phi is a parameter, not an actual angle. That is, if you choose a certain value for phi, you'll get a point (x,y) that's on the ellipse. However, if you actually plot this point and connect it to (0,0), the resulting line is NOT at an angle phi from the x-axis. There's no reason it should be, since phi is an arbitrarily picked value.

Related to Is phi the Actual Angle on an Ellipse?

1. What is a simple ellipse?

A simple ellipse is a type of geometric shape that is formed by a curved line that is closed and symmetrical around two points. It resembles a flattened circle or oval shape.

2. How is a simple ellipse different from other ellipses?

Unlike other ellipses, a simple ellipse has only one set of foci, or the two points that determine its shape. This means that the distance from any point on the curve to one of the foci is the same as the distance to the other focus.

3. What are the properties of a simple ellipse?

A simple ellipse has several properties, including its major axis (longest diameter), minor axis (shortest diameter), eccentricity (measure of how elongated the ellipse is), and semi-major and semi-minor axes (half the length of the major and minor axes, respectively).

4. What are some real-life examples of simple ellipses?

Simple ellipses can be found in everyday objects such as wheels, coins, and plates. They are also commonly seen in nature, such as the shape of planets' orbits around the sun and the shape of some fruits and vegetables.

5. How is a simple ellipse used in science and mathematics?

Simple ellipses have many applications in science and mathematics, including in astronomy, engineering, and geometry. They are often used to represent orbits, trajectories, and shapes of objects in motion, and can also be used in equations and calculations to model various phenomena.