Is Space Expanding in a Relativistic Way?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of space and its effects on the size of the universe. One person mentions that in one book, the diameter of the universe is more than 100 billion light years across, despite its age being only 14 billion years old, due to accelerated expansion. However, another person mentions that space expands in a "relativistic" way, so the length of a meter also gets longer, contradicting the first point. This leads to a debate on whether the scale of space itself changes and if the length of a meter is affected by the expansion. The original source of information, a pop science book, is deemed inaccurate and not a valid source for discussion. In conclusion, the length of a meter is
daisey
Regarding the expansion of space...
  • In one book I've read the diameter of the universe is more than 100B light years across, even though the age of the universe is only roughly 14B years old. This is due to accelerated expansion of space.
  • In another book it says that space is expanding in a "relativistic" way, so as the universe expands the length of a meter also gets longer, so the diameter of the universe doesn't change.
These two points seem to be contradictory. Is this issue still up for debate?

Space news on Phys.org
The length of a meter is not in any way affected by the expansion of the universe. This is not up for debate

(and by the way, the diameter is not > 100B LY, it's something like 94B LY)

phinds said:
The length of a meter is not in any way affected by the expansion of the universe. This is not up for debate

Then what is meant by "the scale of space itself changes" in the following sentence?: "The metric expansion of space is the increase of the distance between two distant parts of the universe with time.[1] It is an intrinsic expansion whereby the scale of space itself changes" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space)

daisey said:
Then what is meant by "the scale of space itself changes" in the following sentence?: "The metric expansion of space is the increase of the distance between two distant parts of the universe with time.[1] It is an intrinsic expansion whereby the scale of space itself changes" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space)
It means that things do not "move apart" in the normal English language sense of that phrase but rather that the geometry of the universe is what is changing such that things in unbound systems get farther apart. That does not mean that a meter changes. A meter is defined as the length of the path traveled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.

I recommend the link in my signature.

I agree the length of a meter does not change, but only relative to the expansion of space. The universe has always been the same width in "meters". And the length of a meter always remains "the length of the path traveled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second" because as space expands (and a meter "gets longer") time contracts to allow this distance traveled in a second to remain constant.

Above is the point the author of the second book was trying to make. I understand your argument - I'm thinking there are still disagreements on this point.

daisey said:
In one book I've read

What book?

daisey said:
In another book

What book?

daisey said:
I agree the length of a meter does not change, but only relative to the expansion of space. The universe has always been the same width in "meters".

This is not correct. I'm going to guess that neither of the books you referred to was an actual cosmology textbook. I strongly suggest that you consult one.

daisey said:
I'm thinking there are still disagreements on this point.

There aren't, if you mean among actual cosmologists.

It's not a textbook, and it is not a book on cosmology. The book is called: "Time Explained", by Michael Savins. Here is the quote from his book.

"The Universe is expanding and that expansion is accelerating but at the same rate as a metre measuring rod is increasing in length. The universe therefore remains the same diameter in metres".

I originally said his point seemed contradictory. But he makes a lot of sense.

daisey said:
It's not a textbook, and it is not a book on cosmology.

Then it's not a valid source for PF discussion. Also, it's wrong.

daisey said:
I originally said his point seemed contradictory. But he makes a lot of sense.

Sorry, it's still wrong. You should not be learning science from pop science sources.

Thread closed.

1. What is the theory behind the expansion of space?

The theory of general relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, explains that the fabric of space-time can be curved by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature allows for the expansion of space.

2. How is the expansion of space different from objects moving away from each other?

The expansion of space is not caused by objects simply moving away from each other. In fact, the space itself is expanding, causing objects to move farther apart. This is due to the stretching of space-time itself.

3. How do we know that space is expanding in a relativistic way?

Scientists have observed the redshift of distant galaxies, which is a result of the expansion of space. The farther away a galaxy is, the more redshifted its light will appear, indicating that space is expanding in a relativistic way.

4. Is space expanding at a constant rate?

No, the expansion of space is not constant. In fact, it is accelerating, meaning that the rate of expansion is increasing over time. This is believed to be due to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe.

5. Will space continue to expand forever?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of space will continue indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time due to factors such as the amount of dark energy present in the universe.