Is Static Friction the Dominant Force in a Block on Top of a Slab System?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the problem involves a slab of mass 40kg and a block of mass 10kg on top of it, with a coefficient of static friction of 0.60 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.40. A horizontal force of 100 N is applied to the block. The question is whether the friction acting between the block and the slab is static or kinetic. To prove that static friction is acting, the maximal static friction force must be computed and compared to the inertial force of the block. The usual approach would be to make an assumption and see if it results in a contradiction.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

In the figure, a slab of mass m1=40kg rests on a frictionless floor, and a block of mass m2=10kg
rests on top of the slab. Between block and slab, the coefficient of static friction is μs=0.60, and
the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk=0.40. A horizontal force F of magnitude 100 N begins to
pull directly on the block, as shown.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

One question I have is, what sort of friction is acting, kinetic or static? I figured that it would be static. When the force F begins pulling on m1, intertia will act to keep m2 from sliding with the slab, giving it the impression that it is moving to the left, relative to the slab's point of view. Hence, the static friction force will balance this "inertial force" that is trying to act, thereby causing the block to move in unison with the slab, or mathematically, a1 = a2.

How do I prove this mathematically, though. Do I need to compute the static friction force and compare it to some other force?

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    523 bytes · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the problem? What do you have to find?

Assuming you have to find acceleration:
Have you drawn the FBDs for the blocks?
What are the forces acting on the blocks?
Also what do you mean by 'inertial force'? I think you are not clear on its definition, if so google it up!

Sorry, here are the questions:

(a) Choose the directions of your coordinate system.
(b) Identify all forces acting on the block and the slab.
(c) Write down Newton’s 2nd law for the block and the slab.
In unit‐vector notation, what are the resulting accelerations a1 and a1.

Bashyboy said:
One question I have is, what sort of friction is acting, kinetic or static? I figured that it would be static. When the force F begins pulling on m1, intertia will act to keep m2 from sliding with the slab, giving it the impression that it is moving to the left, relative to the slab's point of view. Hence, the static friction force will balance this "inertial force" that is trying to act, thereby causing the block to move in unison with the slab, or mathematically, a1 = a2.

How do I prove this mathematically, though. Do I need to compute the static friction force and compare it to some other force?

The usual approach would be to make an assumption (static friction rules or doesn't rule) and see if it results in a contradiction. Probably easier to check the "static friction rules" case. So yes, compute the maximal static friction force and see if the top block's inertial force exceeds it.

1. What is "A Block On Top of A Slab"?

"A Block On Top of A Slab" is a physical phenomenon in which a solid block is placed on top of a flat, horizontal slab or surface. This can be observed in various real-life situations, such as building construction, furniture assembly, or stacking objects.

2. How does the weight of the block affect its stability on the slab?

The weight of the block plays a crucial role in determining its stability on the slab. If the block is too heavy, it may cause the slab to crack or break under the pressure. On the other hand, if the block is too light, it may easily topple over due to external forces, such as wind or vibrations.

3. What factors can affect the friction between the block and the slab?

The friction between the block and the slab can be affected by various factors, including the texture and material of the surfaces, the weight and shape of the block, and the presence of any external forces, such as moisture or oil.

4. How does the center of mass of the block affect its stability on the slab?

The center of mass of the block, which is the point where the weight of the block is evenly distributed, plays a crucial role in determining its stability on the slab. If the center of mass is located within the base of the block, it will be more stable. However, if it is located outside the base, the block may topple over.

5. Can the stability of "A Block On Top of A Slab" be improved?

Yes, the stability of "A Block On Top of A Slab" can be improved by considering the factors mentioned above, such as weight, friction, and center of mass. Additionally, using adhesives or other means to secure the block to the slab can also improve its stability.