Is Steam Really Invisible? Exploring the Truth Behind This Common Misconception

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of steam and whether or not it is considered a gas. The initial belief is that steam is not a gas due to the presence of water droplets, but this is challenged by the fact that any gas would have suspended droplets near its boiling point. However, it is clarified that steam is actually invisible and pure water vapor, and the whitish cloudy appearance is simply condensed water droplets in air. This is also confirmed by thermodynamics texts.
jackle
When I was at school, some 15 years ago, I was taught that steam was not a gas. This always seemed a very odd thing to say. I think it was based on the idea that it contains suspended water droplets, but wouldn't any gas have suspended droplets near it's boiling point? I'd like to settle this in my mind forever.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Steam", by virtue of the fact that you can see it, is not a gas.

It's not a matter of the fact that steam contains water droplets, it's the fact that steam is water droplets! Water, as a gas (above its boiling point), is not steam.

Halls, I have to differ with you.

Steam is, in fact, invisible. It is pure water vapor, and is a gas.

The whitish cloudy stuff you see rising from your pasta pot on the stove is not steam -- it's just air with condensed water droplets in it.

- Warren

chroot said:
Steam is, in fact, invisible. It is pure water vapor, and is a gas.

The whitish cloudy stuff you see rising from your pasta pot on the stove is not steam -- it's just air with condensed water droplets in it.

- Warren
...and that's the interpretation of thermodynamics texts as well.

Related to Is Steam Really Invisible? Exploring the Truth Behind This Common Misconception

1. What is steam?

Steam is a gaseous state of water that is formed when liquid water is heated to its boiling point and vaporizes. It is an invisible gas that can be felt as heat and seen when it condenses into tiny water droplets.

2. Is steam a gas or a liquid?

Technically, steam is considered a gas because it is in a gaseous state. However, it is often referred to as a vapor, which is a substance in a gaseous state that is usually a liquid or solid at room temperature.

3. How is steam different from water?

The main difference between steam and water is their physical states. Steam is a gas, while water is a liquid. Additionally, steam is at a much higher temperature than water, as it is formed when water is heated to its boiling point.

4. What are the characteristics of steam?

Steam is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. It is less dense than air and has a high amount of energy due to its high temperature. It also has the ability to expand and take up more space than its liquid form, making it a powerful source of energy.

5. How is steam used in everyday life?

Steam has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used for cooking, heating, and powering machines such as steam engines and turbines. It is also used in industrial processes, such as sterilization and cleaning, and to generate electricity. Additionally, steam is an important component of many natural and artificial hot springs and geysers.