Is stoke's number same as inertial impaction parameter?

In summary: Stokes number and inertial impact parameter are both used to describe the impact of a spray on a body. Stokes number is derived from the momentum conservation equation, while the inertial impact parameter is a more general parameter that relates the spray transport and aerodynamic conditions.
jay234
Is stoke's number same as inertial impaction parameter??

thx a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Jay. Please do not multi-post in the forums.

K. Su and Shi-Chune Yao, Numerical Studies Of Sprays Impacting Normally On An Infinite Plate,
Atomization and Sprays, Volume 9, Issue 4, 1999
http://www.edata-center.com/journals/6a7c7e10642258cc,05bf4e953090d651,19ab9f946f278b77.html

An inertial impaction parameter K for impacting sprays is defined in terms of the momentum conservation to reveal the relation between spray transportation and aerodynamic conditions.

http://www.epa.gov/NCEA/pdfs/partmatt/April1996/app_10a.pdf
This document defines inertial impact parameter as the product dae2 [itex]\dot{V}[/itex], where dae is the aerodynamic particle diameter (in µm), and [itex]\dot{V}[/itex] is the volumetric flow rate (in cm3/s).

More generally the inertial impact parameter is defined by

[tex]\psi\,=\,C_f{\rho_p}v(d_p)^2/18{d_d}\mu[/tex], where

[itex]C_f[/itex] = Cunningham correction factor,
[itex]\rho_d[/itex] = particle density, 1/ft{sup]3[/sup]
[itex]v[/itex] = particle velocity, ft/s
[itex]d_p[/itex] = particle diameter,ft
[itex]d_d[/itex] = droplet diameter, ft
[itex]\mu[/itex] = gas viscosity, lb/ft-s

Ref: Handbook of Environmental Engineering Calculations
C. C. Lee, Shun Dar Lin, McGraw-Hill Professional, 2000

This form relates to the use of the inertial impact parameter in the Johnstone equation which describes the collection efficiency of a liquid Venturi scrubber.

It appears to be different from the Stokes number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes_number

thx for answering
sorry for making 2 thread b4, cos after i created thread in here, i found that it should be more suitable for the thread created in the other forum and i am unable to delete the thread myself

I ve read some articles and found that ppl used either of the equation to describe the same thing. (anderson cascade impactor)
I just want to know what's the difference between or how they are derived from each other.

here is my question come from

attachment.php?attachmentid=11834&d=1196698022.jpg

as both of the equation is similar, I've tried to proved that inertial impaction parameter is same as stoke number
i converted the particle physical diameter dp in equation on LHS from the pic attached into aerodyanmic diameter, da.
But still, the equation is not the same as on RHS.

or did i missed out sth
im so confused:frown:

Attachments

• aci.JPG
    aci.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:

1. What is Stoke's number?

Stoke's number is a dimensionless number used in fluid mechanics to characterize the relative importance of particle inertia and fluid viscous forces in a flow.

2. How is Stoke's number calculated?

Stoke's number is calculated by dividing the particle relaxation time by the characteristic time scale of the flow.

3. What is the relationship between Stoke's number and inertial impaction parameter?

The inertial impaction parameter is a function of Stoke's number and represents the likelihood of a particle being captured by a surface due to its inertia in a gas flow. As Stoke's number increases, so does the inertial impaction parameter.

4. What is the significance of Stoke's number in particle deposition?

Stoke's number plays a critical role in determining the behavior of particles in a fluid flow, particularly in terms of deposition onto surfaces. It helps to predict whether particles will deposit onto surfaces or remain suspended in the flow.

5. How does the value of Stoke's number affect particle deposition?

A higher Stoke's number indicates a greater potential for particles to deposit onto surfaces. This can be useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in various fluid flows, such as in industrial processes or environmental systems.