Is the Action of Conjugation by Sylow 2-Subgroups Onto?

In summary, we can see that the action of G on the set of its 3 Sylow 2-subgroups by conjugation is onto. This is because for any two subgroups H and K, there exist elements x and y in G such that xHx^-1 = K and yKy^-1 = H. This shows that the action is transitive and each permutation in S3 can be reached through this action. Therefore, the action is onto and we can map to every permutation in S3.
Poirot1
Assume that G of order 48 has 3 sylow 2-subgroups. Let G act on the set of such subgroups by conjugation. How do I know that this action is onto? I know that all 3 subgroups are conjugate but I'm not sure this is enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine this is too difficultto find that an action is onto i.e. can I map to every permutation in S3. My problem is (1 2 3) is in S3 so is this telling me I need to find a g such that gHg^-1=M, gMg^-1=K and gkg^-1=H, for the slylow subgroups H,k,M

ok, suppose the three subgroups are H,K,M.

we know there is x,y,z in G with:

xHx-1 = K

yKy-1= M

zMz-1= H.

so the action is transitive. because we have an action (these are bijective maps), if:

x:H-->K

then xKx-1 can only be H or M. if xKx-1 = H, then x corresponds to the permutation (1 2).

otherwise xKx-1 = M, and x corresponds to (1 2 3).

now if xKx-1 corresponds to (1 2), we can look at y.

since y takes K to M, either y takes H to K, in which case y corresponds to (1 2 3)

or y takes H to H, in which case y corresponds to (2 3).

in this last case, we have xy corresponds to (1 2)(2 3) = (1 2 3):

xyH(xy)-1 = x(yHy-1)x-1 = xHx-1 = K

xyK(xy)-1 = x(yKy-1)x-1 = xMx-1 = M

xyM(xy)-1 = x(yMy-1)x-1 = xKx-1 = H.

(and we didn't even need to use z).

1. What is the image of a group action?

The image of a group action is the set of all possible outcomes or transformations that can be achieved by applying the group's actions to a given object or set. It represents the range of possible changes that can occur through the group's actions.

2. How is the image of a group action related to the group's elements?

The image of a group action is determined by the group's elements and their corresponding actions on the given object or set. Each element of the group will result in a different transformation or outcome, thus contributing to the overall image of the group action.

3. Can the image of a group action be a subset of the original object or set?

Yes, the image of a group action can be a subset of the original object or set. This can occur when the group's actions result in repetitive or redundant transformations, leading to a smaller image compared to the original object or set.

4. How can the image of a group action be visualized or represented?

The image of a group action can be visualized or represented in various ways, depending on the context and purpose. It can be represented as a set of points or objects, a graph or diagram, or a mathematical function mapping the group's elements to their corresponding transformations.

5. What is the significance of studying the image of a group action?

Studying the image of a group action can provide insights into the group's structure and properties, as well as the behavior of the given object or set under the group's actions. It also has applications in various fields such as geometry, physics, and computer science.