Is the Calculation of the Integral Along the Curve $\gamma(t)=1+it+t^2$ Correct?

In summary, the conversation was discussing the solution to the integral, which was found to be $1+2i$, and clarifying the original problem.
Dustinsfl
$\gamma(t)=1+it+t^2, \ 0\leq t\leq 1$

$\displaystyle\int_0^1 (1+it+t^2)(i+2t)dt=\int_0^1(2t^3+t)dt+i\int_0^1(1+3t^2)dt = 1 + 2i$

I was told that was wrong. What is wrong with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$\gamma(t)=1+it+t^2, \ 0\leq t\leq 1$

$\displaystyle\int_0^1 (1+it+t^2)(i+2t)dt=\int_0^1(2t^3+t)dt+i\int_0^1(1+3t^2)dt = 1 + 2i$

I was told that was wrong. What is wrong with it?

What was the original problem? To solve $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} z\,dz$ where $\gamma(t) = 1+it+t^2$, $t\in [0,1]$??

Chris L T521 said:
What was the original problem? To solve $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} z\,dz$ where $\gamma(t) = 1+it+t^2$, $t\in [0,1]$??
Yes

Related to Is the Calculation of the Integral Along the Curve $\gamma(t)=1+it+t^2$ Correct?

1. What is a simply complex integral?

A simply complex integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It takes into account both real and imaginary components to determine the total area.

2. How is a simply complex integral different from a regular integral?

A simply complex integral differs from a regular integral in that it involves functions with complex variables and can have both real and imaginary values. Regular integrals only involve real variables and values.

3. What are some applications of simply complex integrals?

Simply complex integrals have many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to solve problems related to electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others.

4. What is the process for solving a simply complex integral?

The process for solving a simply complex integral involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts, using properties of complex numbers, and then evaluating the resulting real and imaginary components separately.

5. Are there any limitations to using simply complex integrals?

While simply complex integrals have many practical applications, they can be challenging to solve and require a solid understanding of complex numbers. They may also have limitations in certain cases, such as when dealing with singularities or discontinuities in the function.