Is the Common Base Theorem Applicable to All Cases Involving Triangles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the common base theorem and its application in the case of a rectangle with parallel sides. It is mentioned that the theorem may not be applicable in this case as the line passing through the vertices does not meet the base. The validity and popularity of the theorem is also questioned.
jobsism
Consider the case of a rectangle ABCD, with diagonals AC and BD drawn.

Now, it's easy to see that triangles ADC and BCD are congruent. So, the ratio of their areas would be 1.

But when I try to obtain the same result via the common base theorem, the line passing through A and B never meets the base DC (as AB and DC are parallel!). How is this possible, when the ratio of the areas is known to be finite?! Or does this situation imply that the Common Base theorem can't be applied in such cases?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jobsism said:
Consider the case of a rectangle ABCD, with diagonals AC and BD drawn.

Now, it's easy to see that triangles ADC and BCD are congruent. So, the ratio of their areas would be 1.

But when I try to obtain the same result via the common base theorem, the line passing through A and B never meets the base DC (as AB and DC are parallel!). How is this possible, when the ratio of the areas is known to be finite?! Or does this situation imply that the Common Base theorem can't be applied in such cases?

I think it'd be a good idea that you'd tell us what's that "common base theorem" that seems to be bugging you...

DonAntonio

Oh, sorry about that. I just thought it was quite a popular theorem. :D

If two triangles ABC and A'BC have a common base BC, and the line passing through A and A' meets the base BC(extended, if needed) at P, then

Area(Triangle ABC)/Area(Triangle A'BC) = AP/A'P
This is the Common Base Theorem.

But you see, in the above case the AP and A'P counterparts simply extends to infinity, whereas the ratio of the areas is finite.

jobsism said:
Oh, sorry about that. I just thought it was quite a popular theorem. :D

If two triangles ABC and A'BC have a common base BC, and the line passing through A and A' meets the base BC(extended, if needed) at P, then

Area(Triangle ABC)/Area(Triangle A'BC) = AP/A'P
This is the Common Base Theorem.

But you see, in the above case the AP and A'P counterparts simply extends to infinity, whereas the ratio of the areas is finite.

Never heard of such a theorem, and it even looks slightly suspicious to me, but it never matters: as you wrote, "...IF the line thorugh A, A' meets the base BC..." , and in the rectangle's case you described it does NOT meet the base, so the theorem isn't appliable.

DonAntonio

EDIT: I totally understand your reason for suspicion; it's not mentioned anywhere on the web! I think it might be a lesser known lemma. But the book that I learned it from (A Primer for Mathematical competitions) called it CBT!
Anyways, the proof is really simple: just constructing altitudes and using similarity criteria.

Oh,wow...so silly of me! It was all in the statement the whole time! :D

Funny you should find the theorem suspicious though. I believe it's used in the proof of the very famous Ceva's theorem. Ah, but then again, there are numerous proofs for the latter.

Last edited:

Related to Is the Common Base Theorem Applicable to All Cases Involving Triangles?

1. What is the Common Base Theorem?

The Common Base Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that the sum of the squares of the two shorter sides of a right triangle is equal to the square of the hypotenuse.

2. How is the Common Base Theorem used in geometry?

The Common Base Theorem is commonly used to find missing side lengths or angles in right triangles, as well as to prove various geometric relationships.

3. What is the difference between the Common Base Theorem and the Pythagorean Theorem?

While both theorems involve right triangles, the Common Base Theorem specifically deals with the relationship between the squares of the sides, while the Pythagorean Theorem relates the squares of all three sides.

4. Can the Common Base Theorem be applied to non-right triangles?

No, the Common Base Theorem only applies to right triangles. It is a specific case of the more general Law of Cosines, which can be used for non-right triangles.

5. What real-life applications does the Common Base Theorem have?

The Common Base Theorem is often used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and surveying to calculate distances, angles, and other measurements. It also has applications in physics and astronomy for calculating forces and distances between objects.