Is the electron field a real thing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electron and its relationship to the electron field. It is agreed that the electron is an excitation in the electron field and is described as a model for understanding the behavior of electrons. The idea is debated whether this is the true nature of an electron or just a model. It is noted that physics is based on models and predictions rather than determining what things truly are. The uncertainty principle is mentioned as a factor in understanding the electron. The conversation also delves into the philosophical aspect of defining what is real versus what is a model in science.
CraigH
I'm not talking about electric fields here, but a separate field which is the cause of us being able to observe/measure/predict that there is an electron there.
according to this video:

An electron is an excitation in the electron field, just like a water wave is a excitation in a body of water.

Is this true? Is this what an electron really is, or is this just a model, or an unproven idea?
I'd quite like this to be true, its a really nice idea.

Also, I study electrical engineering not physics, so please consider this when answering.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, an electron is an excitation in the electrON field, not the electrIC field.

Sorry that was a typing mistake, I'll correct it now.

CraigH said:
Is this true? Is this what an electron really is, or is this just a model, or an unproven idea?

Well, strictly speaking, everything in physics is a model. But our best, most successful model for the electron is that individual electrons are excitations of an underlying electron field.

CraigH said:
Physics doesn't tell us what things really are. Terms like "electron" are defined by theories. Theories make predictions about results of experiments. Experiments tell us how accurate those predictions are.

What we can say for sure is that there's a a theory that defines electrons that way and makes incredibly accurate predictions about the results of experiments, in situations where gravity can be neglected.

Spinnor said:
You might find this interesting reading,

http://profmattstrassler.com/articl...ysics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

The comment section makes for some good reading as well.

Yeah, Matt's got a great site, and a great service he provides to those who seek some sanity in the crazy world of the standard model.

@Craig

I never liked this idea of a separate field for each elementary particle. It just seems so ad hoc and overcomplicated. Einstein would likely say that the good Lord would never have created a universe with all these redundant fields overlapping each other.

@The Duck

Well, strictly speaking, everything in physics is a model. But our best, most successful model for the electron is that individual electrons are excitations of an underlying electron field.

Right, and this I think is the crux of the matter, modern physics, in my humble opinion, is short on aesthetics and parsimony, and long on results. So as long as the model conforms to some degree of error to experimental results, who cares what the underlying scaffolding looks like. I mean, as long as my laptop fires up when I give it my voice command, who cares if my model posits the Mickey Mouse field to account for this or that effect. I'm not making a value judgement, do what you have to do boys to get my laptop working. But if your goal is to come to some aesthetic understanding of how this all works, that's what your stuck with...At least for now.

Attachments

• Mickey-mickey-mouse-30636419-488-500.jpg
    Mickey-mickey-mouse-30636419-488-500.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Thanks Spinnor that was a great article, very interesting!

And Fredrik and The Duck surely this isn't the case in all of physics. for example we know that matter is made of atoms. I wouldn't say that this was a model, this is an undisputable fact.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zD85gk2FG..._0/XtYp-FlP3k0/s1600/colloid_sphere_atoms.jpg
I understand that just because we can see something, (like in the picture we have observed the shape of a H20 atom) it doesn't make any more real as our senses can deceive us from what reality is, but surely everyone can agree that matter IS made of atoms, and they DO look like this. This is real and not a model, or at least it satisfies the best requirements for what most people would say real means.
In the same way then, can I say that the electron field is just as real as an atom?

And if I was talking to a non physicist, I could tell them that "an electron is an excitation in a thing called the electron field, just like waves in the sea are an excitation in the body of water", and then blow there mind, and I wouldn't be misinforming them?

CraigH said:
Is this what an electron really is

If we were to find the True Description of what an electron Really Is, how would we know that we've found it? :smile:

Dirac Pool, I do want to have an aesthetic understanding, I know that it is useless, and that if the model works it doesn't matter what is really happening as we can still predict things, which is ultimately what science is. But I'm just curious. I need to know what is really happening, and I can't accept that this is not possible.

jtbell are you referring to the uncertainty principle? I'm not a physicist so I do have a deep understanding of that. Or is this some philosophy about reality that I'm going to have to think about for a while before I understand what you mean haha.

CraigH said:
And Fredrik and The Duck surely this isn't the case in all of physics. for example we know that matter is made of atoms. I wouldn't say that this was a model, this is an undisputable fact.

Indisputable? That implies the conclusion is beyond any assault from new evidence or thinking. Such a stance is counter to the modern philosophy of science. All theories are models which are tentative with respect to evidence, all of them. Models and observations - these are the realm of science. Considering what things "really" are is not science, its something else.

So I, and I think most, would say this is the case in all of physics, and in all of science.

Of course in day to day colloquial speak and operationally its easy and acceptable to interchange 99.99...99% confidence with 100% confidence. Philosophically and scientifically they are categorically distinct.

Last edited:
An unhelpful quibble.

CraigH said:
And Fredrik and The Duck surely this isn't the case in all of physics. for example we know that matter is made of atoms.
This is a good point. I think what I said is still valid, but your example shows that I at least need to figure out a good way to explain why. Unfortunately it's getting late, and I don't want to sit here all night. Maybe I'll try to explain this tomorrow. No promises though.

The picture you posted shows a water droplet covered with polystyrene beads. :smile:

I thought it looked a bit too good, so I searched for a description of the image and found it here: http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/03/pr0328.htm. The picture below is however an image of some Niobium and Selenium atoms, as seen by a scanning tunneling microscope. I found it at this web page.

http://www.astro.virginia.edu/class/whittle/astr124/matter/atom_lattice.gif

CraigH said:
In the same way then, can I say that the electron field is just as real as an atom?
I don't think i would say that, because the electron field isn't directly measurable.

CraigH said:
And if I was talking to a non physicist, I could tell them that "an electron is an excitation in a thing called the electron field, just like waves in the sea are an excitation in the body of water", and then blow there mind, and I wouldn't be misinforming them?
That's close enough in my opinion, so it's not misinformation.

This is all very interesting. I can see what you mean that the electron field is not directly measurable, however I think after this discussion I am going to believe that for all intents and purposes the electron field is real.

FAQ: Is the electron field a real thing?

What is the electron field?

The electron field is a physical concept used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior and interactions of electrons. It is a fundamental field that exists in space and is responsible for creating and influencing the properties of electrons.

How is the electron field different from the electric field?

The electron field is a subatomic field that is associated with the presence and movement of electrons, while the electric field is a macroscopic field that describes the force exerted by electrically charged particles. The electron field is responsible for creating the electric field, but they are fundamentally different concepts.

Is the electron field a real thing or just a mathematical concept?

The electron field is considered a real thing in the context of quantum field theory. It is a fundamental field that exists in space and is responsible for the behavior of electrons. While it is described mathematically, it has been experimentally verified through various observations and measurements.

How does the electron field interact with other fields?

The electron field can interact with other fields through a process called quantum field interactions. This means that the electron field can exchange particles with other fields, such as the electromagnetic field, to produce various effects and phenomena.

Can the electron field be observed directly?

No, the electron field cannot be observed directly as it is a subatomic field that exists at a very small scale. However, its effects can be observed and measured through experiments and observations of the behavior of electrons and other particles that interact with it.