Is the electron leaving the "machine" in the double-slit experiment the same one hitting the screen?

• Thread starter Jens Lundell
  • Start date
In summary, the electron leaving the "machine" in the double-slit experiment is not the same one hitting the screen. This is due to the nature of quantum mechanics, where particles can exist in multiple states at once and can interfere with each other, creating the observed interference pattern on the screen. Therefore, it is impossible to track the exact path of a single electron and determine if it is the same one hitting the screen.
Jens Lundell
(OP) As famously known, Feynman states that the single electron used in the double-slit experiment takes every possible path simultaneously before coming to the final goal which is the phosphorescent screen. My question is: How sure are we that this electron really is the one that left the "machine"? Please explain shortly if this is proved. Sorry if the question (or the english) sounds stupid, I'm a newbie to both the quantum mechanics as well as english. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jens and welcome to PF!

This thread is meant to introduce yourself to the community. Please post your question in
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/quantum-physics.62/
or even better search our forum and Insights for "double-slit".
I'm sure you will find plenty of threads that deal with this subject and possibly find an answer.

Likes Jens Lundell