Is the Frequency of Current Noise Voltage Dependent?

• Thread starter jonlg_uk
  • Start date
Hello I have been doing a set of experiments in order to try and measure the current noise of a thick film resistor. I basically attach a low noise, power supply, to a thick film resistor and slowly increasing the power supplies voltage to that resistor.

I am noticing a strange phenomena when observing the FFT frequency plots.
As I increase the voltage I can see that the current noise decreases in magnitude, yet increases in frequency. I thought that as I increased the voltage I would see the peak get bigger. Can anyone explain this (in terms of electrons bunching and releasing)? I have attached the frequency plots:

graphnoise.jpg

Answers and Replies

Your plot looks similar to white noise generation in some circuits i have played with. These made lower frequency, falling rocks or rain, audio noise at voltages near a threshold and as voltage (and subsiquent current) were increased, the frequencey would increase but reduce in amplitude. But this was atributed quantum or tunneling effects in a pn junction.
I have always been aware of carbon composite resistors having noise, and thought the metalic thin film resistors avoided this.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
The OP hasn't been here in seven years, just in case you were expecting a response.

My reminising. It also reminded me of the time I used an aluminized space blanket to create electrotatic sub sonic sound and had this noise showing up on our other equipment. Hate seeing a question just hang there. Thanks