Is the Heisenberg-Robertson Uncertainty Relation Always Consistent?

In summary, the general uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics is derived to be the product of the variances of two observables, with the addition of a term involving their commutator. However, it is often simplified to only involve the commutator term, which only works if the discarded term is always positive. This condition is always met for Hermitian operators, but may not be true for operators that are not Hermitian.
DuckAmuck
TL;DR Summary
Something about this is not clear.
The general uncertainty principle is derived to be:
[tex]\sigma_A^2 \sigma_B^2 \geq \left(\frac{1}{2} \langle \{A,B\} \rangle -\langle A \rangle \langle B \rangle \right)^2 + \left(\frac{1}{2i} \langle [A,B] \rangle \right)^2 [/tex]
Then it is often "simplified" to be:
[tex]\sigma_A^2 \sigma_B^2 \geq \left(\frac{1}{2i} \langle [A,B] \rangle \right)^2 [/tex]
But this simplification only works if:
[tex] \left(\frac{1}{2} \langle \{A,B\} \rangle -\langle A \rangle \langle B \rangle \right)^2 \geq 0 [/tex]
However is this condition always met? *

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The anticommutator of two Hermitian operators is Hermitian, hence has a real expectation value. Therefore, the term you are discarding is always positive.

If ##M## is supposed to be a Hermitian operator, then ##B = iM## certainly isn't.

Likes DuckAmuck and vanhees71
Note that also
$$\hat{C}=\frac{1}{\mathrm{i}} [\hat{A},\hat{B}]$$
is self-adjoint if ##\hat{A}## and ##\hat{B}## are self-adjoint, and thus also the somewhat weaker Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation is consistent, i.e., the left-hand side of the inequality is positive semidefinite. The original stronger uncertainty relation is due to Schrödinger (if needed, I can look for the citation).

Likes DuckAmuck

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle Problem?

The Uncertainty Principle Problem, also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously measured with perfect accuracy.

2. Who discovered the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. How does the Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, as it introduces the concept of inherent uncertainty and unpredictability at the subatomic level.

4. Can the Uncertainty Principle be overcome or avoided?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome or avoided. However, there are ways to minimize the uncertainty in measurements, such as using more precise measuring instruments.

5. What are the implications of the Uncertainty Principle in practical applications?

The Uncertainty Principle has significant implications in various fields, including quantum computing, cryptography, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and the development of quantum technologies.