Is the language 0^i10^j decidable?

• Thread starter ChakanaX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the language 0^i10^j is a formal representation of strings that consist of a sequence of 0's followed by a single 1, and then another sequence of 0's. It is decidable, meaning there exists an algorithm to determine if a given string is in the language. This language is significant in computer science as a simple example of a decidable language and is often used in automata theory and formal language theory. A string that is not in this language does not follow the pattern of starting with a sequence of 0's, followed by a 1, and then ending with another sequence of 0's. The language 0^i10^j can be represented by the regular expression
ChakanaX

Homework Statement

Is the language 0i10j decidable? ( this is 0 to the ith power and 10 to the jth power just to clarify)

Please design a turing machine to prove your conclusion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly really stuck on this example and I don't have any idea on where to begin and this concept confuses me, how exactly do i simulate this using a turing machine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the answer not zero? What turning Machine has to do with this?

Related to Is the language 0^i10^j decidable?

1. What does the language 0^i10^j mean?

The language 0^i10^j is a formal way of representing strings that consist of a sequence of 0's followed by a single 1, and then another sequence of 0's. For example, 00110, 000110, and 0000100 are all examples of strings in this language.

2. Is the language 0^i10^j decidable?

Yes, the language 0^i10^j is decidable. This means that there exists an algorithm that can determine whether a given string is in the language or not. In this case, the algorithm would simply need to check if the string starts with a sequence of 0's, followed by a 1, and then ends with another sequence of 0's.

3. What is the significance of the language 0^i10^j in computer science?

The language 0^i10^j is a simple example of a decidable language, which has important implications in computer science. It is often used to demonstrate concepts in automata theory and formal language theory, and is also relevant in the study of computational complexity.

4. Can you give an example of a string that is not in the language 0^i10^j?

Yes, any string that does not follow the pattern of starting with a sequence of 0's, followed by a 1, and then ending with another sequence of 0's is not in the language 0^i10^j. For example, 0110, 1001, and 0101 are not in this language.

5. How is the language 0^i10^j related to regular expressions?

The language 0^i10^j can be represented by the regular expression (0+)^110(0+)^. This means that any string in the language can be generated by this regular expression, and any string that can be generated by this regular expression is also in the language. Therefore, the language 0^i10^j is a regular language.