1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the legendre equation an example of a frobenius equation?

1. Nov 27, 2005 #1
    is the legendre equation an example of a frobenius equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Legendre's equation:

[tex](1-x^2)y^{''}-2xy^{'}+n(n+1)y=0[/tex]

is not singular at x=0 and thus is not in the form generally suited to the Frobenius Method. Usually equations of the form:

[tex]y^{''}+\frac{b(x)}{x}y^{'}+\frac{c(x)}{x^2}y=0[/tex]

are solved using the Frobenius method. In the case of Legendre's equation, a solution of the form:

[tex]y(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^n[/tex]

is used, that is integer powers whereas the Frobenius method allows for non-integer powers.

4. Nov 28, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a "Frobenius Equation." It is properly referred to as the "method of Frobenius" which can be applied to a wide variety of linear differential equations including Legendre's DE. It may not be the most convenient, in specific cases, but the method is of general applicability.

5. Nov 29, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Legendre's equation is singular at x= 1 and x= -1 and Frobenius' method could be used to find series solutions about those points.

6. Nov 29, 2005 #5

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, yep. That's very good. :smile: Thank you both for clearing that up for me. Asdf, I request you solve Legendre's equation about one of the singular points using the method of Frobenius (you brought it up). Please provide a complete report with plots by next Monday morning. :smile: Oh I could do it, that would be fun. I use big paper for things like that, write very neat, slowly, constantly referring to references in the matter, and take breaks during the process. And if I get stuck, put it up and work on simpler ones preferably some that are already worked out in some text book then a few on my own.

Oh yea, I'd use Mathematica to check my work.:smile:

7. Nov 29, 2005 #6
    ORZ... taylor series stuff are one annoying pain...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?