Is the particle able to penetrate finite barrier?

In summary, the conversation discusses a step potential with different values at different regions. The question is posed about the possibility of a particle in a bound state escaping to a region with higher potential. The experts explain that this is possible as long as the potential is finite. They also mention a scenario where the particle cannot move into a region with higher potential, but can move out if it is initially in that region. Ultimately, it is concluded that the particle will always end up in the well, indicating a bound state.
J.Asher
Let's have a kind of step potential,

V=infinity, where x[tex]\leq[/tex]0,
V=constant, where 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]a,
V=zero , where x[tex]\geq[/tex]a.

Then, my question is that when the energy of the particle is lesser than zero, which

means that the particle is in the bound state, is there a probability of getting the

particle where x[tex]\geq[/tex]a ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
J.Asher said:
Let's have a kind of step potential,

V=infinity, where x[tex]\leq[/tex]0,
V=constant, where 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]a,
V=zero , where x[tex]\geq[/tex]0.

Then, my question is that when the energy of the particle is lesser than zero, which

means that the particle is in the bound state, is there a probability of getting the

particle where x[tex]\geq[/tex]0 ??

This is not an example of a particle "in a bound state". Your particle doesn't exist for x<0 since the wavefunction from where it is would have sufficiently decayed away in the barrier.

Zz.

I acknowledge that I had mistaken about which the state particle is under

but I didn't ask for the particle in the region x<<0, but x>>a.

After I upload this, I got some approaching for this problem

that in the region 0<<x<<a, the wave funtion for the particle would have sin and cos and

in the region x>>a, the particle would have an exponentioal funtion(real).

and from the continuity equation, which says wave function always continuos and the

deravative of the wave funtion would countinuous if the potential is not infinitive,

I could get the transcedental equation that has tangent form.

Does it make sense?

I think you are asking about the following situation:
V=infinity x<0
V=0 0<x<a
V=V a<x<b
V=0 x>b

With the particle initially in the region 0<x<a, is there a possibility of the particle escaping to the region x>b? If this is your question, the answer is yes, as long as V is finite.

Ah I am sorry...
I had a mistake on saying the region in which the potential finite.

V=infinity, where x<0
V=-V (negative constant), where 0<x<a
V=0, where x>a

maybe the problem doesn't give any gurauntee that the particle is in 0<x<a initially.

anyway, what I get thru this problem is particle cannot move into region x>a,where the potential goes up, finitely, from the region like finite well, 0<x<a, but if the particle in on the region, x>a, initially, particle can move into the region, o<x<a.
(I assuemd that the energy is negative and more than -v, 2nd boundary is given by the fact that the energy must be more than minimum of the potential)

So wherever the particle is there, it always go to the well, 0<x<a, which means
bound state, consequently.

1. What is a finite barrier?

A finite barrier is a physical or mathematical barrier that has a limited or finite height or thickness. It can be in the form of a wall, a potential energy barrier, or any other obstacle that can impede the movement of a particle.

2. How does a particle penetrate a finite barrier?

A particle can penetrate a finite barrier through the process of quantum tunneling, where it can pass through the barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome it classically. This phenomenon is allowed by the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

3. Can all particles penetrate a finite barrier?

In theory, all particles have a probability of penetrating a finite barrier through quantum tunneling. However, the probability decreases as the barrier height or thickness increases, making it more difficult for larger and heavier particles to penetrate the barrier.

4. What factors affect the ability of a particle to penetrate a finite barrier?

The main factors that affect the ability of a particle to penetrate a finite barrier are the height and thickness of the barrier, the mass and energy of the particle, and the shape and composition of the barrier. These factors can increase or decrease the probability of quantum tunneling, thus affecting the penetration of the particle.

5. How is the probability of a particle penetrating a finite barrier calculated?

The probability of a particle penetrating a finite barrier is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. This equation takes into account the energy of the particle, the potential energy of the barrier, and the characteristics of the barrier, such as its height and thickness. The resulting probability is a function of these variables and can be used to predict the likelihood of penetration.