Is there a generic transistor model for Capture CIS?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a generic model of MOSFET/BJT transistors for use in Capture CIS, with the ability to easily edit parameters like K, V-Threshold, and B_f without affecting channel lengths and widths. The discussion also touches on the default parameters used by SPICEs and the possibility of creating custom PSPICE models. The suggestion is made to use the BREAKOUT library, which contains generic models that allow for editing of the mentioned parameters.
KingNothing
I have been searching for a generic model of MOSFET/BJT transistors for Capture CIS. I would like something where I can easily edit K, V-Threshold, and B_f (beta-f) without messing with channel lengths and widths and such.

Does anyone know where I can download such a thing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Capture CIS is a schematic capture tool. Are you saying you are hooking it up to a circuit simulator?

MOSFET behaviors are strongly dependent on W and L. BJT behaviors depend on a handful of basic parameters starting at Ebers-Moll or Gummel-Poon as minimums.

The defaults used by various SPICEs are probably good enough if you don't care much about specific implementation. They give "reasonable" behaviors for circa 1970 era available discrete parts (e.g. 2N3406/2N2222 BJT levels of performance for the default BJT parameters).

I don't know the ins-and-outs to stuffing Capture CIS with model parameters or of hooking it up to a circuit simulator.

I understand that the behaviors are dependent on W and L. In colleges however, transistors are generally characterized by K (conductance parameter), a threshold voltage, and an early voltage (Va) which all depend on W and L and a few properties of the materials. This is to make the analysis generally more intuitive.

I did err about Capture CIS. I use it somewhat interchangeably with PSPICE for schematic capture and simulation. How can I go about making my own PSPICE models then?

Do you have the BREAKOUT library? The models in there are very generic and the parameters you mentioned can be edited. For example, this a model I used for an assignment not too long ago-

.model Mbreakn NMOS VTO=1 KP=4E-3 W=1 L=1 LAMBDA = .1

I'm pretty sure that's what you're looking for.

1. What is a generic transistor model for Capture CIS?

A generic transistor model for Capture CIS is a simplified representation of a transistor that can be used in circuit simulation software. It includes the key characteristics and behaviors of a real transistor, but is not specific to any particular manufacturer or model.

2. Why is a generic transistor model needed for Capture CIS?

A generic transistor model is needed for Capture CIS because it allows users to simulate circuits without having to use specific manufacturer models. This makes it easier and more efficient to design and test circuits with different types of transistors.

3. How accurate is a generic transistor model for Capture CIS?

A generic transistor model for Capture CIS is designed to be accurate enough for most applications, but it may not be as precise as a manufacturer-specific model. It is important to carefully choose the parameters and characteristics of the model to ensure the accuracy of the simulation.

4. Can a generic transistor model be used for all types of transistors?

No, a generic transistor model for Capture CIS is not suitable for all types of transistors. It is best used for common types of transistors such as BJTs and MOSFETs. Specialized transistors with unique characteristics may require a more specific model.

5. Where can I find a generic transistor model for Capture CIS?

Generic transistor models for Capture CIS can be found online or in the software's library of components. It is also possible to create your own model using the software's modeling tools and the datasheet of your chosen transistor. It is important to verify the accuracy of the model before using it in a simulation.