Is there a material or an element that can repel hydrogen?

In summary, hydrogen cannot be passed easily through a solid surface, but it can be repelled by a uniform Electric Field. Very high pressure and small holes can produce surprising effects with reverse osmosis filtering of water. H2 storage for vehicles might be achievable using palladium membranes.
Maija Brandt
I’m working on an idea that I have, and I was wondering if there was something that could repel hydrogen. Not water, not oxygen, just hydrogen. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe so. Neutral hydrogen is usually bound with another atom of itself in a gaseous state, so it doesn't act like a liquid and bead up like water does. It just bounces around like all gas molecules do. In case you were actually asking about containing hydrogen in a container, just know that hydrogen is extremely difficult to contain due to its small size. It will slowly leak out of just about any container.

Maija Brandt said:
I’m working on an idea that I have, and I was wondering if there was something that could repel hydrogen. Not water, not oxygen, just hydrogen. Thanks!
Hydrogen cannot pass easily through a solid surface but, given time, it will leak through a thin balloon membrane.
Hydrogen atoms (and all other atoms) are electrically neutral so they cannot be moved (attracted or repelled) by a uniform Electric Field. Slow moving H atoms will be repelled when they meet up with another atom at slow speed because the fields around atoms are not uniform (simple non-quantum model). If they are fast enough (e.g. a hot gas) they can have enough energy to overcome the repulsion and they can form a molecule with the other atom. H + H → H2 is an example.

Bystander said:
Which particular bit of that reference could help us with this? I started on it but life's too short.

Also, perhaps the OP could expand a bit on the question and what the "idea" involves.

The Pd membrane might be useful for "sorting" hydrogen from oxygen/water.

Bystander said:
The Pd membrane might be useful for "sorting" hydrogen from oxygen/water.
Very high pressure and very small holes can produce surprising effects (as with reverse osmosis filtering of water) so I guess it might work. The actual numbers involved (dimensions of holes and pressure) would be very relevant.

sophiecentaur said:
Very high pressure and very small holes
Not necessary, really; hydrogen is quite "soluble" in palladium.

Bystander said:
Not necessary, really; hydrogen is quite "soluble" in palladium.
Oh yes, of course - H2 storage for vehicles. PF is just great for fresh ideas injected into threads and for reminding us of stuff that's buried somewhere deep in memory.
I wonder whether that would help in breaking chemical bonds and producing H2 directly (from H2O or other compounds, instead of using Electrolysis first. It would still require immense pressure, I think.

sophiecentaur said:
PF is just great for fresh ideas injected into threads and for reminding us of stuff that's buried somewhere deep in memory.
..., or, for recalling the Pons/Fleischman fiasco.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. Can any material or element completely repel hydrogen?

No, there is currently no material or element that can completely repel hydrogen. However, there are materials that can resist or slow down the movement of hydrogen atoms.

2. What materials or elements are known to have some level of hydrogen repellency?

Materials such as palladium, platinum, and gold have been found to have some level of hydrogen repellency. These metals have a strong affinity for hydrogen, causing them to repel it to some degree.

3. Are there any ongoing research efforts to develop a material that can fully repel hydrogen?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to develop materials that can fully repel hydrogen. These efforts include studying the behavior of materials under different conditions and exploring new materials with potential hydrogen repellency.

4. What challenges are faced in developing a material that can repel hydrogen?

One of the main challenges in developing a material that can repel hydrogen is finding a material that is both effective and cost-efficient. Another challenge is finding a material that can withstand the harsh environments in which hydrogen is often present.

5. Can a material or element that repels hydrogen also repel other elements or molecules?

Yes, a material or element that has hydrogen repellency can also repel other elements or molecules. This is because the basic principle of repelling hydrogen is based on the physical and chemical properties of the material, which can also affect the interaction with other elements or molecules.