Is There a Missing Layer of Explanation in Popular Physics Communication?

• Thread starter expos4ever
  • Start date
In summary, there is a missing layer of explanation in popular physics communication. While popular science communication often simplifies complex concepts for a general audience, it often leaves out important details and nuances that are crucial for a deeper understanding of the topic. This can lead to misconceptions and misunderstandings of scientific concepts, hindering the public's understanding of physics. It is important for popular science communicators to bridge this gap and provide a more comprehensive and accurate explanation of physics concepts to the public.
expos4ever
Hello to all. I am particularly interested in the way concepts in physics are presented and explained. I am inclined to believe that there is often a fundamental layer of explanation missing from articles (and even books) that attempt to communicate science to the masses. More particularly, I often find myself wishing for a very high-level layer of explanation where relevant concepts are more carefully explained and an effort made to connect our intuitions. However, I am aware of the possibility that this is an unrealistic explanation. Looking forward to learning some things.

Physics news on Phys.org
expos4ever said:
Hello to all. I am particularly interested in the way concepts in physics are presented and explained. I am inclined to believe that there is often a fundamental layer of explanation missing from articles (and even books) that attempt to communicate science to the masses. More particularly, I often find myself wishing for a very high-level layer of explanation where relevant concepts are more carefully explained and an effort made to connect our intuitions. However, I am aware of the possibility that this is an unrealistic explanation. Looking forward to learning some things.
Welcome to the PF! :smile:

It sounds like the Educators and Teaching forum is a good match for your interests... https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/educators-and-teaching.192/