Is there a monosaccharide that humans cannot metabolize?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, there are only three hexoses that humans can metabolize: Glucose, Fructose, and Galactose. This is because our cells know how to convert Glucose to ATP and our liver can convert Fructose and Galactose to Glucose. It all depends on the enzymes present, which are specialized to deal with specific molecules. Additionally, the chirality (handedness) of sugars may also play a role in their metabolizability.
bomba923
A monosacharride that humans cannot metabolize? :redface:

Biology news on Phys.org
well, i think formaldehyde would be one... i don't think it's good to drink formalin :biggrin:

(...Alright...to be more specific :rolleyes:)

~Does there exist a six-carbon monosaccharide (a hexose) that humans cannot metabolize?

Last edited:
i think that only Glucose, Fructose and Galactose can be metabolized out of the hexoses...

fargoth said:
i think that only Glucose, Fructose and Galactose can be metabolized out of the hexoses...
? Why so ?

well, the short answer is that our cells know to convert Glucose to ATP (and some cells know to convert Glucose to Glycogen and back)

and our liver knows to convert only Fructose and Galactose to Glucose...

it all depends on what your enzyms can do...

i once read something about the chirality (right left handedness of things)
i think it applies to sugars, that if they were the opposite direction we couldn't metabolize it

not sure, but it sounds familiar

enzyms are protein and have definite structure,... and are specialized to deal with certain molecule ... having appropriate configuration.

1. Does extraterrestrial life exist?

The scientific community has not confirmed the existence of extraterrestrial life. However, with the vastness of the universe and the discovery of potentially habitable planets, it is possible that extraterrestrial life exists.

2. Does a cure for cancer exist?

There is no single cure for cancer, as it is a complex disease with many different types and causes. However, there are treatments and therapies that can help manage and potentially cure certain types of cancer.

3. Does time travel exist?

At this time, time travel is not possible according to the laws of physics. While there are theories about the possibility of time travel, there is currently no scientific evidence or technology to support it.

4. Does parallel universes exist?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of parallel universes. While it is a popular concept in science fiction, it is currently not a scientifically accepted theory.

5. Does the Loch Ness Monster exist?

There is no scientific evidence to confirm the existence of the Loch Ness Monster. Many reported sightings and photographs have been proven to be hoaxes or misidentifications of known creatures.