Is there a simpler explanation for the equation \omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi f?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of angular velocity, frequency, and time in circular motion. The participants clarify how they are all valid and equivalent in measuring circular motion, and suggest using metaphors and trigonometry to better understand the concept.
DB
I saw this on Wikipedia
[tex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi f = v/r[/tex]

What I don't understand is [tex]\omega= \\ \frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi f[/tex]
How can they be equivilant?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
THINK OF THE CIRCULAR MOVEMENT WITH CONSTANT ANGULAR VELOCITY...It will enlighten you.And a bit of trigonometry +geometry woudln't hurt at all...

Daniel.

Let me clarify my question:
How can angular velocity be equivilant to 2pi divided by time in seconds and also equivilant to 2pi x hertz (in seconds obviously)? Isn't frequency dealing with circular motion revolutions per second?

Last edited:
Of course it is.That's what i suggested.
[tex] T=\frac{1}{\nu} [/tex]

[tex] T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega} [/tex]

[tex] \omega =2 \pi \nu [/tex]

All of them are valid for circular motion...And completely equivalent...

WHAT IS ANGULAR VELOCITY...?

Daniel.

ya, ya. I wasn't doubting they weren't equivilant. I just didnt understand why. I see it now though. Thanks man.

Notice though that the so called "circular motion" which frequency must deal with would rather to be thought of metaphoricly. Circular as in a repeation of a certain entity and motion in the sense of things altering as the function of another variable. We may very well measure the frequency of people taking their dogs out on a walk or the frequency of wagons appearing on a merry go round wheel as the function of the distance along it's rim.

Related to Is there a simpler explanation for the equation \omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi f?

1. What is the angular velocity equation?

The angular velocity equation is a mathematical formula that describes the rate of change of an object's angular position over time. It is represented as ω = θ/t, where ω is the angular velocity in radians per second, θ is the change in angular position in radians, and t is the time in seconds.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the speed at which an object rotates or spins, while linear velocity refers to the speed at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What factors affect angular velocity?

The two main factors that affect angular velocity are the magnitude and direction of the object's angular acceleration. Other factors such as the object's mass, shape, and the force applied to it can also affect its angular velocity.

4. How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are directly related. If the angular acceleration of an object is constant, then the angular velocity will change at a constant rate. This means that the object's angular velocity will increase or decrease by the same amount every second.

5. Can the angular velocity equation be used for any type of motion?

No, the angular velocity equation is specifically used for rotational motion, where an object is spinning or rotating around an axis. It cannot be used for linear motion, where an object is moving in a straight line.