Is there a site to do conversions of measurements

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of learning how to convert measurements from one unit to another. The participants discuss the importance of understanding the concept of multiplying by the identity 1 for all conversions, rather than relying on tables or memorization. The conversation also touches on the need to know the density of a substance in order to convert between grams and liters. A site is mentioned that claims to have over 800 conversions, but it is noted that it does not teach the concept. The conversation ends with the participants expressing their gratitude for the help and wishing each other goodnight.
zy
Is there a site that teaches how to do conversions of measurments. More specificly I need one that teaches coversion between different measurements like gallons to cubic inches or square feet to millimeters or grams to meters LOL if there is such a thing lol

Physics news on Phys.org
I stongly believe that all conversions should be taught as multiplication of a given quantity by the identity, 1. There are countless ways to write 1 as the ratio of any two equals. For example to convert feet to inches

[tex] 3 feet = 3 feet * \frac{12 inches}{1 foot} = 36 inches[/tex]

This can be extended to changes of measuring systems

[tex] 3 feet = 3 feet * \frac{12 inches}{1 foot} * \frac{2.54 cm}{1 inch} = 91.44 cm[/tex]

All conversions can be done by multiplying by appropriate representations of 1. One should never have to think about when to divide and when to multiply. The units tell us which way to form the numerator and denominator of the fraction equal to 1.

Last edited:
Cool I get how to go from say grams to kilograms Its just when it goes from one measurement like grams to say liters. They boggles the mind LOL.

Wow that's a nice site but it does not teach it. I would have to sneak that in and cheat on my math test LOL And I don't have time to memorize 800 conversions LOL

I hate tables like the one posted. I would avoid any table that has no equal signs I want to see

2.54 cm = 1 inch
1 mile = 5280 feet
1 liter = 1000 cm^3

etc etc etc

Grams to liters only makes sense if you know the density of a substance involved. Then you form a conversion fraction from a known ratio.

mass = density * volume

For water density = 1 gm/cm^3

mass of water = (1gm/cm^3)*volume of water

Ok thanks everyone. I will check back in several hours and see if anyone has any more tips. Thanks for the help. Off to bed I go! :)

1. What types of measurements can be converted on the site?

The site can convert various types of measurements, such as length, weight, volume, temperature, and more.

2. Is the site accurate and reliable?

Yes, the site uses up-to-date conversion formulas and algorithms to ensure accuracy and reliability in its conversions.

3. Can I convert multiple measurements at once?

Yes, the site allows you to enter and convert multiple measurements at once, making it convenient and efficient for your needs.

4. Are there any limitations to the conversions on the site?

The site may have limitations in terms of the range of values it can convert, but it covers a wide range of commonly used measurements.

5. Is the site free to use?

Yes, the site is completely free to use without any hidden fees or subscriptions required.