Is there a trigonometric identity for this ?

In summary, the result of adding two sinusoids of the same frequency but with different phase and amplitudes will always be another sinusoid of the same frequency. This can be proven using the trigonometric identity for adding two cosines. In the general case, where one sinusoid has a different amplitude, the result will also be a sinusoid of the same frequency, but the phase and amplitude cannot be determined without additional information. Any expression of the form A sin(wt) + B cos(wt) can be rewritten as sqrt(A^2 + B^2)cos(wt + alpha), where alpha is the angle whose tangent is A/B.
Usjes
Hi,

I am trying to figure out what the result is when adding two sinusoids of the same frequency but with different phase and amplitudes. Specifically I want to know if the result is always another sinusoid of the same frequency. For the case of the the same amplitude I have:

cos(wt) + cos(wt+phi) = 2.cos(wt+phi/2).cos(phi/2) ... this follows from the trig. identity:

cos(A)+cos(B) = 2.cos[(A+B)/2].cos[(A-B)/2]

So the addition of two sinusoids of the same frequency and amplitude will always give a sinusoid of the same frequency. What about the more general case:
cos(wt) + k.cos(wt+phi) where k is a constant. Will the result here also always be a sinusoid of frequency w ? Intuitively I think so, but I havn't been able to derive an expression for the phase and amplitude.
Does anyone know ?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cos(wt) + k.cos(wt+phi)=-k sin(phi) sin(wt)+(k cos(phi)+1)cos(wt)

wnvl said:
cos(wt) + k.cos(wt+phi)=-k sin(phi) sin(wt)+(k cos(phi)+1)cos(wt)

... and if you want, you can write any expression of the form
A sin(wt) + B cos(wt)
in the form
sqrt(A^2 + B^2)cos(wt + alpha)
where
tan alpha = A/B

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions to each other. It is a fundamental concept in trigonometry and is used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

2. How do I know if a trigonometric identity exists for a given expression?

There are several ways to determine if a trigonometric identity exists for a given expression. One way is to use the properties of trigonometric functions to manipulate the expression and see if it can be simplified or written in a different form. Another way is to consult a table of common trigonometric identities to see if the expression matches any of them.

3. Can any expression be written as a trigonometric identity?

No, not all expressions can be written as a trigonometric identity. Some expressions may not involve trigonometric functions at all, while others may involve irrational numbers or complex numbers that cannot be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions.

4. How are trigonometric identities used in real-world applications?

Trigonometric identities are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to model and solve problems involving periodic phenomena, such as wave motion, sound waves, and electrical currents. Trigonometric identities are also used in the construction of buildings and bridges, as well as in the design of computer graphics and animation.

5. Are there different types of trigonometric identities?

Yes, there are several types of trigonometric identities, including reciprocal identities, quotient identities, Pythagorean identities, and sum and difference identities. Each type serves a different purpose and can be used to simplify different types of trigonometric expressions.