Solving Trig Identity Problem: Asin^2(wt) + Bcos^2(wt) = A = B

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation involving the equation Asin^2(wt) + Bcos^2(wt) = A = B, and whether or not it is correct. The participants also discuss the factoring involved and the context in which the equation was presented. Ultimately, they come to the conclusion that A and B must be equal in order for the equation to be true and that the equation represents the total energy, as explained by the concept of conservation of energy.
DiracPool
I can't quite work out this derivation I ran into which is essentially...Asin^2(wt) + Bcos^2(wt) = A = B. Is this correct?

I know that sin^2(wt) + cos^2(wt) = 1, but I can't reason out how the factoring works here? Any help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Where exactly did you run into it? Can you paste some context for us to look at?

Looking at what you wrote, as long as A = B, the full statement is true... but if that's the case, then you might as well just use A.

Char. Limit said:
Where exactly did you run into it? Can you paste some context for us to look at?

Looking at what you wrote, as long as A = B, the full statement is true... but if that's the case, then you might as well just use A.

Actually, you can can find the full equation here at the bottom of the screen at 1:20 -

So A and B are not the same. In effect, its Asin^2(wt) + Bcos(wt) = constant, where the constant is Energy in this case, but the guy doesn't do the deriviation, he just presents the equation and I'm not clear on how he factored it.

I think you are misunderstanding what he is saying. It is not that "A sin^2(x)+ B cos^2(x)" is a constant- it is only for these specific, and related, A and B. And he is not using any trig identity. He is simply stating that the "A sin^2(x)+ B cos^2(x)" is the total energy and, because of "conservation of energy", must be constant. Of course, taking x= 0 gives "B" and taking x= pi/2 gives "A" so A and B must be equal to that constant and so to each other.

I can confirm that the identity sin^2(wt) + cos^2(wt) = 1 is correct and is known as the Pythagorean identity. However, in this particular problem, it seems that there may be a typo or a mistake in the given equation. The fact that A and B are both equal to the same value does not make sense in this context. It is possible that the equation should be written as Asin^2(wt) + Bcos^2(wt) = A + B instead. In this case, the derivation would involve using the Pythagorean identity to simplify the left side of the equation and then factoring out a common factor of A + B. I suggest double checking the given equation and making any necessary corrections before attempting to solve it.

Related to Solving Trig Identity Problem: Asin^2(wt) + Bcos^2(wt) = A = B

1. What is the purpose of solving trig identity problems?

The purpose of solving trig identity problems is to simplify and prove equations involving trigonometric functions. This can help in solving more complex problems in mathematics and physics.

2. What is the first step in solving a trig identity problem?

The first step is to rewrite the equation in terms of sine and cosine, using the identities sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 and cos^2(x) = 1 - sin^2(x).

3. How do you determine the values of A and B in the equation Asin^2(wt) + Bcos^2(wt) = A = B?

Since A and B are constants, they can be determined by comparing the coefficients of sin^2(wt) and cos^2(wt) on both sides of the equation.

4. What is the next step after determining the values of A and B?

The next step is to use trigonometric identities such as double angle formulas, sum and difference formulas, and Pythagorean identities to simplify the equation further.

5. Can you check your solution to a trig identity problem?

Yes, you can check your solution by substituting the values of A and B back into the original equation and verifying that both sides are equal.