Is There an Alternative Method for Proving a Limit Involving e and ln?

• Thread starter Tomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits Ln
In summary, we can show that the limit of e^(x ln y) as (x,y) approaches (a,0) is equal to 0 by breaking it down into separate limits and using the fact that the limit of ln y as y approaches 0 is -∞. This method may not be allowed if limits involving infinity have not been discussed, but we can use the \delta and \epsilon method to show that lim z → -∞ e^z = 0, which implies that lim (x,y) → (a,0) e^(x ln y) = 0.
Tomath

Homework Statement

Show that lim (x,y) → (a,0) e^(x ln y) = 0 [itex]\forall[/itex]a > 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried looking at lim (x,y) → (a,0) x ln y seperately.
lim(x,y) → (a,0) x ln y = lim(x,y) -> (a,0) x * lim(x,y) → (a,0) ln y
= a * lim(x,y) → (a,0) ln y

Now lim(x,y) → (a,0) ln y is -∞. So we get lim(x,y) →(a,0) x ln y = -∞. Now lim z → -∞ e^z = 0.

The problem here is that we haven't discussed limits involving infinity in class and I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to use it. My question therefore is: is there any other way to show that lim (x,y) → (a,0) e^(x ln y) = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tomath said:

Homework Statement

Show that lim (x,y) → (a,0) e^(x ln y) = 0 [itex]\forall[/itex]a > 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried looking at lim (x,y) → (a,0) x ln y seperately.
lim(x,y) → (a,0) x ln y = lim(x,y) -> (a,0) x * lim(x,y) → (a,0) ln y
= a * lim(x,y) → (a,0) ln y

Now lim(x,y) → (a,0) ln y is -∞. So we get lim(x,y) →(a,0) x ln y = -∞. Now lim z → -∞ e^z = 0.

The problem here is that we haven't discussed limits involving infinity in class and I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to use it. My question therefore is: is there any other way to show that lim (x,y) → (a,0) e^(x ln y) = 0?

No, I think that's the right way to do it.

That's what I was afraid off :(. How would I prove that lim (x,y) → (a,0) e^(x ln y) = 0 and lim z → -∞ e^z = 0? I am familar with the [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] method but I am not sure how to include ∞ in this method.

Tomath said:
That's what I was afraid off :(. How would I prove that lim (x,y) → (a,0) e^(x ln y) = 0 and lim z → -∞ e^z = 0? I am familar with the [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] method but I am not sure how to include ∞ in this method.

lim z → -∞ e^z = 0 just means that for any ε>0 you can find a N such that e^z<ε if z<N. Try picking N=log(ε).

Related to Is There an Alternative Method for Proving a Limit Involving e and ln?

1. What is the definition of the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, ln(x), is the inverse function of the exponential function, e^x. It is the logarithm with a base of e, where e is approximately 2.71828.

2. How do you evaluate limits involving e and ln?

To evaluate limits involving e and ln, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a form that is easier to evaluate, and then use basic limit rules to determine the limit. For example, if the limit involves an expression of the form ln(1+x)/x, you can use the limit definition of the derivative to evaluate the limit as x approaches 0.

3. What is the relationship between e and ln?

The number e and the natural logarithm ln are closely related. The value of e is the base for the natural logarithm, and ln(e) = 1. The logarithm function and the exponential function are inverse functions of each other, so ln(e^x) = x and e^(ln(x)) = x for all x.

4. Can limits involving e and ln be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, limits involving e and ln can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule, which states that the limit of the ratio of two functions is equal to the limit of their derivatives, as long as the limit of the derivatives exists. This can be particularly useful when evaluating limits involving indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.

5. Are there any special properties of e and ln that can help with evaluating limits?

Yes, there are a few special properties of e and ln that can be helpful when evaluating limits. For example, the derivative of e^x is itself, so the limit of e^x as x approaches a is always equal to e^a. Additionally, ln(e^x) = x and e^(ln(x)) = x for all x, which can be useful when simplifying expressions involving e and ln.