Is there any way possible a magnetic field can cancel out an electric field?

In summary, the magnetic force can cancel an electric field if the magnetic force points in the same direction as the electric field.
darknight08

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
darknight08 said:

Thanks !

Are you familiar with the Lorentz force? What can you tell us about your question?

The thought was inspired by the passage and question below. Also, I still don't understand the explanation thoroughly. I understand the electric field portion, but not the magnetic field.

http://imageshack.us/m/847/8320/passage1.jpg
http://imageshack.us/m/197/7190/answerexplanation.jpg

Thanks!

More specifically, I don't understand this statement: "The magnetic force, in order to cancel the electric force, must point upward" ??

darknight08 said:
More specifically, I don't understand this statement: "The magnetic force, in order to cancel the electric force, must point upward" ??

Because the E field points up, the electric force on the electron is down. Therefore, to cancel the electric force with a magnetic force, the magnetic force has to point up.

And to answer your original question in the context that you've shown, yes, for certain situations you can get a manetic field to cancel the force on a charged particle from an electric field. In the general 3-d case you can't get the fields to "cancel", but when you apply some physical constraints on the situation, you can make the forces cancel.

That's why I asked if you are familiar with the Lorentz Force:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

berkeman said:
Because the E field points up, the electric force on the electron is down. Therefore, to cancel the electric force with a magnetic force, the magnetic force has to point up.

I am still having hard time understanding why if a magnetic force points in the same direction as an Electric field, it will cancel?

darknight08 said:
I am still having hard time understanding why if a magnetic force points in the same direction as an Electric field, it will cancel?

The electric force on a *negatively* charged particle is in the opposite direction as the Electric field. Look at the Lorentz Force equation:

F = qE + q(v x B)

If q is negative (like is for electrons), the electric force is opposite the E field direction. Just remember that the E field direction is defined as the direction of force on a *positive* test charge.

Does that help?

1. How do magnetic fields and electric fields interact?

Magnetic fields and electric fields are both types of electromagnetic fields. They interact through a phenomenon called electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field can create an electric field and vice versa.

2. Can a magnetic field cancel out an electric field?

Yes, it is possible for a magnetic field to cancel out an electric field. This can occur when the magnetic field is equal in strength but opposite in direction to the electric field, resulting in a net force of zero.

3. What is the principle behind canceling out electric fields with magnetic fields?

The principle behind this is known as the Lorentz force law, which states that the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric field is proportional to the strength of the electric field and the charge of the particle, while the force exerted by a magnetic field is proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle. By manipulating the strength and direction of these fields, they can cancel each other out.

4. Are there any real-life applications of canceling out electric fields with magnetic fields?

Yes, this concept is used in various technologies such as MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to cancel out the electric fields of the body's atoms and create clear images. It is also used in particle accelerators to guide and control the motion of charged particles.

5. Can a magnetic field completely eliminate an electric field?

No, a magnetic field can only cancel out an electric field when the two fields are equal in strength and opposite in direction. In most cases, there will still be some residual electric field present. Additionally, some materials, such as conductors, can shield against electric fields, but there will still be some effect from the magnetic field present.