My wife and I went there last year. We stayed in a nice B&B (Mermaid and the Alligator) for three days and wandered all over Key West. It was definitely worth the drive.
That's a little more expensive than I'm hoping for. Do you think it would be possible to get a cheap hotel in Miami, wake up early in the morning, go down and explore the keys all the way to the end, and be able to make it back to my hotel before, say, midnight? I'm trying to keep this trip under 1000 dollars.
I've only been to Miami and Key West. I was shocked at Miami - bars on every window, jeez! And Key West was sooooo touristy. Nice chickens though.
Can you get much into the Everglades? That would be amazing, I think!
I heard parts of Miami are pretty bad. I don't want to end up in a gang part of town, so I need to do some research.
Where exactly are the everglades? And what exactly IS an everglade? I'm looking at Google maps and I'm sort of planning my trip by looking at that. I see a lot of stretches of map that's just green, seemingly unexplored areas. Is that everglades? I'm kinda scared of the country.
I want to drive down there on the coast, and I could come back up more towards the middle.
Where are you starting from, originally?
Jacksonville.
If you have time, use I-95 as little as you can. Take A1A (which runs along the barrier island) whenever you can, and US 1 when you can't. It's slow going. About 25 years ago it took me probably about ten hours to get from Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale this way, without any major stops along the way. It would probably take longer now.
Looking at Google, A1A is definitely what I want to take. I want to stop at Cape Canaveral and take a tour. Do they have tours there anymore? And following A1A down there, it looks like it takes a turn and doesn't go through that island-like-thing that the Kennedy Space Center is on. Is it not easily accessible?
And why does it take so long taking A1A? Low speed limit? 10 hours seems pretty ridiculous.
If you want to glimpse the lifestyles of the rich and famous, take a swing through Palm Beach. When my retired parents were living in Ft. Lauderdale, our traditional Christmas Day excursion was up A1A to Palm Beach, and then a stop to visit friends in Lake Worth before heading home via US 1.
How is the parking there? I hate ending up in places where you can't park for free anywhere. I'd like to be able to park at some of the beaches there.
The drive beyond Key Largo to Key West is very scenic. Key West is touristy, but it's worth a day if you can swing it. For historical sights, there's the Hemingway house and Harry Truman's "little White House". Watch the sunset. Do some bar-hopping on Duval St. if you're into that sort of thing.
Yeah, historical sights is one of the reasons I'm going. I heard there's a fort at the end of the keys.
On the way back, if you have a lot of time, consider heading north through inland Florida which is very different from the coast: sugar cane fields to the south, cattle ranches to the north. From the Miami area, take US 27 to the Lake Okeechobee area, then go around the east side of the lake (I forgot the route number), then north through Yeehaw Junction and maybe stop at the Desert Inn:
Yeah I want to go to Lake Okeechobee, so I plan to take an inland route on the way back. Florida looks like a fish because of that lake (it looks like its eye), so I'd like to visit it.
I hope I don't take the Yeehaw Junction and end up in Deliverance. That's one of my biggest fears. That Desert Inn looks kinda creepy.
Thanks for the comments/suggestions.