Is this a correct derivation of Moment of Inertia?

In summary: It is calculated by taking the product of the mass and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. This can be derived for a single particle by using the equations for torque, force, and angular acceleration. However, this is not a common practice in physics textbooks and is not often seen online.
Marmoteer
Hello everybody!
This is the derivation (for a single particle).
[tex]
\tau = F_{\perp }r
\ = ma_{\perp}r
\ = \alpha mr^2 \\
\text{if }\
\tau = I\alpha
\text{ where } I \text{ is resistance to accleration then } \\
I = mr^2
[/tex]
I'm curious what the problem with this is because I haven't seen it in any of my physics texts (serway and university at least). I also haven't seen it on the interwebs very much.
Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Marmoteer said:
Hello everybody!
This is the derivation (for a single particle).
[tex]
\tau = F_{\perp }r
\ = ma_{\perp}r
\ = \alpha mr^2 \\
\text{if }\
\tau = I\alpha
\text{ where } I \text{ is resistance to accleration then } \\
I = mr^2
[/tex]
I'm curious what the problem with this is because I haven't seen it in any of my physics texts (serway and university at least). I also haven't seen it on the interwebs very much.
Thanks for reading.
Moment of inertia refers to the ratio of the torque to angular acceleration of a rigid body about an axis. It is the inertial resistance to rotation that a rigid body has about a specific axis of rotation. A single particle is not a rigid body.

What you are doing is determining the ratio of torque to angular acceleration of a single point particle about an axis of rotation.

If you were to reduce a rigid body to a collection of single point particles of mass dm and add up all the dmr2 terms where r is the distance from the point particle to the axis of rotation, you would end up with the moment of inertia of the rigid body.

AM

1. What is the moment of inertia and why is it important?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is important because it helps us understand how an object's mass is distributed and how it will behave when subjected to rotational forces.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated using the mass and the distribution of mass in an object. The formula is I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the mass element.

3. Can the moment of inertia be negative?

No, the moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero, depending on the shape and distribution of mass in an object.

4. How does the moment of inertia differ from the center of mass?

The moment of inertia and the center of mass are related but different concepts. The center of mass is the point where an object's mass is evenly distributed, while the moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass and how it affects an object's rotational motion.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia can be affected by the mass of an object, the shape and size of the object, and the distribution of mass within the object. It can also be affected by the axis of rotation and external forces acting on the object.