1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a hyperboloid?

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    Is 1 + e^(-x^2+y^2) a two-sheeted hyperboloid?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just an expression so far. Do you mean z=1+e^(-x^2+y^2), that's a surface.

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    sorry, yes. and I made a typo--it's z= 1+ e^(-x^2-y^2).

5. Sep 30, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not a hyperboloid. A hyperboloid is a quadratic form. That's not, it has an e^ in it. And it doesn't have two sheets. In cylindrical coordinates it's z=1+e^(-r^2). Can you picture what that looks like?

6. Sep 30, 2008 #5
    I don't understand what you mean by cylindrical coordinates, I've never heard that term. I have trouble picturing things, too, until I start plotting points. Is that what I should do, just begin plotting points until I start to see it?

7. Sep 30, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Better to think about it a bit before you start plotting points. In z=1+e^(-r^2) I'm taking r=sqrt(x^2+y^2). So r is just the distance from (0,0) to (x,y) in the x-y plane. Can you picture it now?

8. Sep 30, 2008 #7
    I can't quite see it yet. why wouldn't you just let r=-x^2-y^2?

9. Sep 30, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your choice. I usually like to pick r>=0. But look, at (x,y)=(0,0), z=2. As the distance of (x,y) from (0,0) gets larger and larger, -x^2-y^2 gets larger and larger in a negative way. So e^(-x^2-y^2) get closer to 0. So z->1 at infinity.

10. Sep 30, 2008 #9
    ok, I see how you get z=2, at least. I feel so stupid in that I only get about half of the second part and I absolutely cannot see what this thing looks like! I'm thinking of z as a level--is that wrong? looking at this from the xy plane, does it look like a function like (1/x)^2?

I have nothing in my notes about any surfaces that have e in them, nor are there any examples like this in the text--that's why I'm so lost.

11. Sep 30, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

'z' is the height above (or below) the x-y plane for a given value of x and y. Maybe plotting some points isn't that bad an idea. Try some.

12. Sep 30, 2008 #11
    and now comes the inane question about how to plot some points. just pick random x's and y's?

13. Sep 30, 2008 #12
    oh wait, I just need to choose a z and use logarithms to find y in terms of x. correct?

14. Sep 30, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are asking before you are thinking about it. How about (x,y)=(1,0),(2,0),(3,0) etc. Then (x,y)=(0,1),(0,2),(0,3)... Or (x,y)=(1,1),(2,2),(3,3).... You don't actually have to plot them all, just think about what would happen if you did.

15. Sep 30, 2008 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you actually have to think about what the surface would look like if you did plot a bunch of points. This isn't that hard.

16. Sep 30, 2008 #15
    when x and y grow larger, z approaches 1. that is why I thought it looked like (1/x)^2, because that decreases exponentially towards an asymptote. the difference is that this, instead of being a line is a surface. correct?

17. Sep 30, 2008 #16
    oh, I know it shouldn't be that hard, but I really appreciate your coaching me through this. just think where I'd be without you!

18. Sep 30, 2008 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What it really looks like is 1+e^(-x^2). But, yes, certainly, it decreases exponentially towards an asymptote. It doesn't have two sheets and it's not a hyperboloid.

19. Sep 30, 2008 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I tremble to think. :)

20. Sep 30, 2008 #19
    ok. so if I were to draw this thing, it would basically look like a flat plane with a hump in it near the origin? that's what brought on this question; I'm supposed to be drawing it.

21. Oct 1, 2008 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, an almost flat sheet at infinity with a hump at the origin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?