Is this a simple circle, with radius 1/2?

In summary, a simple circle is a closed shape that is perfectly round, with every point on its boundary at an equal distance from its center. A radius of 1/2 means that the distance from the center of the circle to any point on its boundary is half of the total diameter of the circle. To determine if a figure is a simple circle with a radius of 1/2, you can measure the distance from the center of the circle to any point on its boundary. A simple circle with a radius of 1/2 has mathematical properties and applications, such as calculating the area and circumference of a circle. Yes, a simple circle can have a radius of 1/2, as long as the distance from the center
seand
I'm trying to understand this expression:
[tex]y=x^2+y^2[/tex]

Using wolfram alpha it tells me this is a circle of radius 1/2

But to me I'm unfamiliar with this way of setting up a circle. Specifically the y on both sides of the equation is troubling me. How would you interpret it? Would you reduce it somewhat before interpreting it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would write it as 0=x^2+y^2-y and complete the square in y.

Completing the square worked perfectly. Thank you.

FAQ: Is this a simple circle, with radius 1/2?

1. What is a simple circle?

A simple circle is a closed shape that is perfectly round, with every point on its boundary at an equal distance from its center. It is a two-dimensional figure with no corners or edges.

2. What does a radius of 1/2 mean?

A radius of 1/2 means that the distance from the center of the circle to any point on its boundary is half of the total diameter of the circle. In other words, the radius is half the length of the diameter.

3. How can I determine if this is a simple circle with a radius of 1/2?

To determine if a figure is a simple circle with a radius of 1/2, you can measure the distance from the center of the circle to any point on its boundary. If this distance is exactly half the length of the diameter, then it is a simple circle with a radius of 1/2.

4. What is the significance of a simple circle with a radius of 1/2?

A simple circle with a radius of 1/2 has several mathematical properties and applications. For example, it is the basis for calculating the area and circumference of a circle, and it is used in various geometric and trigonometric equations.

5. Can a simple circle have a radius of 1/2?

Yes, a simple circle can have a radius of 1/2. In fact, any circle can have a radius of 1/2, as long as the distance from the center to the boundary is exactly half the length of the diameter. This is one of the defining characteristics of a circle.