Is this all you have to do for this problem

• Thread starter charlies1902
  • Start date
In summary, for a nonconducting solid sphere with a volume charge density proportional to the distance from the center, the total charge on the sphere can be found by integrating the charge density over the volume of the sphere, using the formula Q = Ar(4/3)πR^3. This can also be achieved by taking the triple integral of Ar*r^2*sin(theta) from r = 0 to R, theta = 0 to pi, and phi = 0 to 2pi, resulting in an answer of AR^4 * pi. The volume element dV can be calculated as 4πr^2 dr, where r is the radius of the spherical shell.
charlies1902

Homework Statement

A nonconducting solid sphere of radius R has a volume charge density that is proportional to the distance from the center. That is rho=Ar for r is less than/equal to , A is a constant. Find the total charge on the sphere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

rho=Ar=Q/V
Q=Ar(4/3)*pi*R^3

Is that it?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

Integrate the charge density over the volume of the sphere.

would've that just be the integral of (Ar dV) which equals Ar*V?

Use dV = 4πr2dr .

Integrate (A)r , with respect to r, from r = 0 to r = R .

I went in for help on this one and my TA told me that I could do a triple integral for this one or with the integral you provided, but I chose to do the triple integral.

What I did was take the triple integral of Ar*r^2 * sin(theta) in this order: dr,dtheta,dphi
with limits of integration: 0 to R, 0 to pi, 0 to 2pi, respectively
For the answer I got AR^4 * pi

Can you explain how you get the dV = 4πr2dr

The surface area of a sphere of radius r, is 4πr2.

So the volume of a spherical shell of thickness dr is given by multiplying the thickness by the surface area.

dV = 4πr2 dr.

What's the integral of 4πr2 dr, from 0 to R ?

1. Is this all I have to do for this problem?

It depends on the complexity and requirements of the problem. It's always a good idea to double-check the instructions and make sure you have addressed all necessary components.

2. Can I use a different method to solve this problem?

As a scientist, it's important to think critically and use your own judgment when approaching a problem. If you believe another method would be more effective, it's worth considering and discussing with others.

3. How do I know if my solution is correct?

There are a few ways to check the accuracy of your solution. You can compare your results to those of others, use a mathematical or statistical analysis, or conduct experiments to test your solution.

4. What if my results are not what I expected?

Sometimes, unexpected results can lead to new discoveries or insights. It's important to thoroughly analyze your data and consider any potential sources of error before drawing conclusions.

5. How can I improve my solution to this problem?

There are always ways to improve and refine your solution. You can seek feedback from peers or mentors, conduct further research, or try different approaches. Continuous learning and improvement are essential in the scientific process.