Western Washington University: Is it a Good Fit?

• Thread starter Helical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, Western Washington University is a lower-ranked school but has a good Physics/Astronomy program. It may be difficult to get into, but it is possible to get a good degree.
Helical
I have neither the grades nor money to get into an Ivy League or other great school. So, I'm planning on attending Western Washington University next fall and enrolling in their Physics/Astronomy program.This is obviously not some "amazing" university but what I'm really wondering is: is that a problem? What I mean is, won't I get a similar education here as I would at a more renowned university? Also If I do well here will it still be difficult for me to go to graduate school? Thanks a lot for any help.

Also I've provided links to anyone who can help:
Department Link: http://www.wwu.edu/depts/physics/
Course Sequence: http://www.wwu.edu/depts/physics/courses_sequence_current.pdf

Thanks again. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
WWU's fine. I think UW is one of the more renowned schools in Washington?

It is but it is surprisingly difficult to get into, I'm not the type of person who trys very hard in useless classes so my HS (there are a lot of required terrible classes) GPA is only about 3.2.

Also just wondering you said it's fine, but does that mean I can get into a good graduate school with a degree from Western?

Where you go for undergrad is probably one of the *least* important factors for getting into a grad school. However, it can have an indirect impact on things like your GRE scores (due to a less rigorous program) or involvement in undergraduate research. These can have a very significant impact on your application.

UW's in the "Public Ivy" category, so I'd hope it is a little tricky to get into. But I don't think your GPA should keep you out. The "personal statement" essay should be a significantly more important factor. These are provided as a way for you to communicate with admissions, and if you have a strong interest in physics...well, I've been to freshmen orientations a few times, and you get most of the students standing up when they call for Undecided and Business majors. Campus visits can't hurt either, although I don't know if that has anything to do with the admissions process at all...however, being able to talk about it in your admissions essay could. (Same argument applies almost verbatim for any school you're looking to get into, including WWU.)

You won't be shooting yourself in the foot or anything by going to WWU, but if you're interested in UW you should definitely apply. Worst that can happen is you get turned down, and that doesn't go on your transcripts. They have two satellite campuses are also easier to get into, or you can keep an eye on transferring at some point if you get initially rejected and decide WWU isn't pushing you enough.

1. What are the academic programs offered at Western Washington University?

Western Washington University offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in fields such as arts, sciences, education, business, and health professions. Some of the most popular majors include psychology, biology, business administration, and education.

2. How is the campus life at Western Washington University?

The campus life at Western Washington University is vibrant and diverse. There are over 200 student organizations, clubs, and activities that cater to different interests and hobbies. The university also offers a variety of on-campus housing options and has a beautiful campus with plenty of outdoor spaces to explore.

3. What is the student-faculty ratio at Western Washington University?

The student-faculty ratio at Western Washington University is 19:1, which allows for smaller class sizes and more personalized attention from professors. This creates a more engaging and interactive learning environment for students.

4. How is the job placement and career services at Western Washington University?

Western Washington University has a strong commitment to preparing students for their future careers. The Career Services Center offers resources and support for students to explore career options, develop job search skills, and connect with potential employers. The university also has a high job placement rate, with 93% of graduates employed or pursuing further education within six months of graduation.

5. What is the overall reputation of Western Washington University?

Western Washington University has a strong reputation for its academic excellence, beautiful campus, and diverse student body. It is consistently ranked as one of the top public universities in the Pacific Northwest and has been recognized for its commitment to sustainability and community engagement. The university also has a high retention and graduation rate, showcasing its dedication to student success.