Help! I'm Scared of What's Happening with My Account

• Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date
In summary, someone may have been able to get into your Yahoo! Messenger account by using a keylogger or other software to intercept your login credentials. You should change your password and consider other anti-virus software.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
I have never encountered this before, and I am a little bit scared. :cry:
Just this morning, when I signed on to Yahoo! Messenger, a few minutes later, there was a message appear telling me that:
"You have been signed out because you signed in on a different computer or device." :confused:
This is just impossible, right? I never let anyone know my password, and my password is composed of 11 characters, and symbols to form a meaningless word. So how can one get into my account?
What should I do now? Should I change my password to a longer one?
If suspect there's something not good is lying somewhere on my computer, how can I sweep that fu*king thing out?
I used NOD32, but is it good enough? Should I consider Norton Antivirus?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd contact Yahoo immediatly.
Find out what the can tell you.

Are you on wireless?
Someone could have tapped into that.

VietDao29 said:
I have never encountered this before, and I am a little bit scared. :cry:
Just this morning, when I signed on to Yahoo! Messenger, a few minutes later, there was a message appear telling me that:
"You have been signed out because you signed in on a different computer or device." :confused:
This is just impossible, right? I never let anyone know my password, and my password is composed of 11 characters, and symbols to form a meaningless word. So how can one get into my account?
What should I do now? Should I change my password to a longer one?
If suspect there's something not good is lying somewhere on my computer, how can I sweep that fu*king thing out?
I used NOD32, but is it good enough? Should I consider Norton Antivirus?

There is a possiblity of a keylogger. However, DO NOT USE NORTON ANTIVIRUS. The damned thing is virus in itself. Use http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/1043809773/1/spybotsd14.exe". Those should get rid of any/notify you of any keylogger (or other virus/spyware/worm/malware, et cetra). Promptly remove any files it picks up, and change your password. If the problem presists, buy AVG and search for other anti-virus software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i have both trillian and YM on my computer. Sometimes, i sign in using Yahoo Messenger first. But then i open Trillian and i was sign off automatically and sign in in trillian instead. Could u be taht u are loggin in using other programme as well?

Huh. I encounter this with Hotmail occasionally. Are you telling me that this is an indication of a virus?

"DO NOT USE NORTON ANTIVIRUS. The damned thing is virus in itself. "
Why do you say this? Looking for objectivity here.

DaveC426913 said:
Huh. I encounter this with Hotmail occasionally. Are you telling me that this is an indication of a virus?"DO NOT USE NORTON ANTIVIRUS. The damned thing is virus in itself. "
Why do you say this? Looking for objectivity here.

Well, I didn't mean it literally. It's just Norton does a horrific job scanning, sucks up memory (at times and more so the other software), detects other anti-virus software as 'a virus' (more like a threat to the market that they are currently king of), and if it actually detects something, it hardly ever completey deletes it. There has also been evidence that some parts of Norton can be classified as a rootkit.

On top of all that, the programs I listed in my other post (and some others) are so much better then Norton, and the only way to really see this is to use them yourself. Plus, those versions are 'only' the free ones and are already that much better then Norton.

In response to the similair issue you have with Hotmail - yes, it is quite possible. Sometimes it is just from leaving it on at a different location, or it my just 'glitch out' sometimes and log you out, stating the other computer reason (or some other bizarrity). Whenever you see this, however, it is quite possible it could be from a keylogger, virus, or other software implanted on your PC. This is why I would recommend doing those steps from my previous post just to ensure it is not a virus, keylogger, etc. So, is it positively a virus? No, but it is possible and it is better to check.

Last edited:
You will probably find that there is another Leigite program/process working in the background that has be given permission to sign into yahoo maybe looking for messages or emails for you.
Load up task manager and see if there is any processes running which could be automatically signing you in when you go on the internet.

Also what is your homepage and is it yahoo or when yahoo homepage loads up has it got permission to log you automatically into yahoo mail which i think it can do. a different process to messenger but still yahoo and so when you run messenger and try to sign in it see's that your already signed into yahoo and reports as your already signed in at a different location.

HOTMAIL does it as i believe xp logs you in automatically when you go on the internet if you have hotmail email account etc and so when you load up messenger and try to log in it tells you that you have already logged on.
Its Something like that anyway, i very very very much doubt it is a virus.

And there is nothing wrong with norton i have used it for years with no problems.

ukmicky said:
And there is nothing wrong with norton i have used it for years with no problems.

Perhaps 'there is nothing wrong with it', but it is a horrible piece of anti-virus software and a waste of your money. AVG Free (or one of the regular, paid for, AVG editions) destroys Norton. Plus, there are tons of other free software for computer protection. And as I said, it may not be a virus, but something Micky stated, but it is always good to be extra safe in that circumstance.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Huh. I encounter this with Hotmail occasionally. Are you telling me that this is an indication of a virus?
I dunno, but it seems so, as I never get that message before. I think that there might be someone logging onto my account when I am online. However, this can also be an error from Yahoo!. Who knows? :rolleyes:
-----------------
Yes, I have tried AVG Free, it's pretty good. I scans a little bit slower than NOD32. It took me about an hour when NOD 32 took me only 30 minutes. And it does detect 1 virus, and 2 jordam horses, whereas NOD32 says that there's no threats... :confused:
And I think I am going to change my password to some longer one, just to be a little bit more secure.
Anyway, just curious, I want to ask you guys which anti-virus softwares you like best.
Thanks, :smile:

Related to Help! I'm Scared of What's Happening with My Account

1. What could be causing unusual activity on my account?

There are several potential causes for unusual activity on your account. It could be due to a security breach, fraudulent activity, or a technical glitch. It is important to contact your bank or financial institution immediately to report the issue and take necessary steps to protect your account.

2. How can I prevent unauthorized access to my account?

To prevent unauthorized access to your account, make sure to use strong and unique passwords, enable two-factor authentication, and regularly monitor your account for any suspicious activity. It is also important to keep your personal information secure and never share your login credentials with anyone.

3. What should I do if I suspect my account has been hacked?

If you suspect that your account has been hacked, contact your bank or financial institution immediately. They will be able to freeze your account and investigate the issue. It is also recommended to change your password and monitor your account for any unauthorized transactions.

4. How can I protect my sensitive information while using my account?

To protect your sensitive information while using your account, make sure to only access your account on secure and trusted devices. Avoid using public Wi-Fi or shared computers when accessing your account. You can also consider using a VPN for added security.

5. What should I do if I notice suspicious activity on my account?

If you notice any suspicious activity on your account, contact your bank or financial institution immediately. They will be able to investigate the issue and take necessary actions to secure your account. It is also recommended to change your password and monitor your account closely for any further unusual activity.