Calculus: 1000 Mile Dimension Sans Thickness

• Thread starter oahz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation delves into the concept of the infinite and its relation to calculus. It is discussed how even though something may have no thickness, it can still be piled up and have a thousand mile dimension. The conversation also touches on the idea of philosophy and how it relates to calculus. The concept of wisdom and ignorance, and how they contrast and complement each other, is also brought up. The conversation ends with a playful reference to internet memes.
oahz
"That which has no thickness cannot be piled up; yet it is a thousand mile in dimension."

Physics news on Phys.org
oahz said:
"That which has no thickness cannot be piled up; yet it is a thousand mile in dimension."

Is that your genius there or are you quoting someone else, oahz?

From nothing arises that which we most seek, yet from everything comes our deepest despairs of infinite magnitude.

This is calculus.

I don't know, oahz, you can pile up a limit. I can take a few dx's and add them together. Do they have a thickness? Technically, yes. But I can add an infinite amount of them and get a very finite and, if I want, a very small volume. So what does that mean?

DiracPool said:
Is that your genius there or are you quoting someone else, oahz?

quoting someone else

oahz said:

True, but remember: "Only He who draws a line without thickness or breadth is capable of seeing the glory of the manifold kingdom"

AnTiFreeze3 said:
From nothing arises that which we most seek, yet from everything comes our deepest despairs of infinite magnitude.

It is not money that you desire, but the capability of conquering the infinite.

"x squared over two plus a constant"

Now that's calculus

micromass said:

Ah, this is the purest essence of what lies within calculus. If only more were keen towards this philosophy as we are.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Ah, this is the purest essence of what lies within calculus. If only more were keen towards this philosophy as we are.

Philosophy for the masses is like gold for the pigs.

micromass said:

Is that some derivative aphorism of "throwing pearls before swine?"

micromass said:

Yet the accumulation of gold upon pigs has turned swine into men.

And calculus.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Yet the accumulation of gold upon pigs has turned swine into men.

And calculus.

Alas, he is but a man who throws diamonds in the infinite seas of wisdom. He never realized that the waters are made of vengeance and destruction.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
The Vulcan Science Directorate has defined this as true.

And, may I add - as a future relative of mine once will have learned again after having his Katra risen from beyond:
T'Plana-Hath said:
Nothing unreal exists.

Live long and prosper, Earthlings!

micromass said:
Alas, he is but a man who throws diamonds in the infinite seas of wisdom. He never realized that the waters are made of vengeance and destruction.

Yet the man who succumbs to the ever lustful embrace of those vengeful waters and drowns within its depths also becomes the wisest of us all.

Earthlings!
Ye shalt also not forget what Marlowe said:

Dead men don't wear plaid.

(Still no idea what that means, but never mind...)

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Yet the man who succumbs to the ever lustful embrace of those vengeful waters and drowns within its depths also becomes the wisest of us all.

No words spoken were ever wiser than the foolish utterings of a young soldier dying in the war of love. It is only you, my friend, who suffers through the eternal fate of damnation and despair.

micromass said:

James Stewart might disagree. :biggrin:

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
No words spoken were ever wiser than the foolish utterings of a young soldier dying in the war of love. It is only you, my friend, who suffers through the eternal fate of damnation and despair.

But much as darkness cannot exist without the gleaning light of eternity, similarly would we be lost without the infinite contrast of ignorance and wisdom.

How did this thread turn into some wannabe poetry slam?

DiracPool said:

From the OP...

micromass said:
From the OP...

Well, I think the OP fell on his own sword a while back...

DiracPool said:

It's a quantum phenomenon:

[ontopic_here, sense] >= ℏ/2

There's about as much calculus in this thread as there is in all of quantum mechanics.

DiracPool said:

The Pool, of Dirac
It swarms full of doubt
Yet I shall reach my epoch
While you fall victim to drought

"Wannabe," that's me?
I'm the purest form
Of what we call poetry
In no terms, am I the norm

AnTiFreeze3 said:
The Pool, of Dirac
It swarms full of doubt
Yet I shall reach my epoch
While you fall victim to drought

"Wannabe," that's me?
I'm the purest form
Of what we call poetry
In no terms, am I the norm

Lol. I'm sure there's a compliment in there somewhere.

DiracPool said:
Lol. I'm sure there's a compliment in there somewhere.

Of course :smile:

oahz said:
is this calculus?

THIS IS SPARTA!

Image source: http://www.bwmag.in/internet-memes

Last edited by a moderator:
v5Zjqja.png

Related to Calculus: 1000 Mile Dimension Sans Thickness

What is "Calculus: 1000 Mile Dimension Sans Thickness"?

"Calculus: 1000 Mile Dimension Sans Thickness" is a theoretical concept in mathematics that explores the idea of a one-dimensional space that is infinitely long, but has no width or thickness.

What is the significance of this concept?

The significance of this concept lies in its application to real-world problems, such as in physics and engineering, where it can be used to model and solve problems involving motion and change.

What are the key principles of this concept?

The key principles of "Calculus: 1000 Mile Dimension Sans Thickness" involve the use of limits, derivatives, and integrals to analyze and understand the behavior of the one-dimensional space.

What are some practical applications of this concept?

Some practical applications of this concept include calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion, determining maximum and minimum values of a function, and finding the area under a curve.

What are some common misconceptions about this concept?

One common misconception is that this concept only applies to one-dimensional problems. In reality, it can also be used to solve multi-dimensional problems by breaking them down into smaller one-dimensional components. Another misconception is that it is only useful in advanced mathematics, when in fact it has many practical applications in everyday life.