Is Cheating in Class Assignments OK?

• Thread starter caljuice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cheating
In summary, if you find the solutions online before class, it is not considered cheating. However, if you do not tell your instructor, you are cheating yourself.
caljuice
So I have in-class assignment every week. The questions on it are some of the challenge questions in textbook. I found the complete solution online so I try to do all the questions before the class to get ready. Since I know the correct answer and everything before doing it in class, is it considered cheating?

Physics news on Phys.org
so, if you didn't find the solutions on line, what would you do?

(so, I would say, yes)

If I were in your situation, I'd bring it to the attention of your instructor that the answers are available online.

Then if the instructor doesn't change the assignment, it's ok (but a bit shady).

But if you don't tell about it, then I'd say yes that's cheating.

Nope not cheating. It's only cheating if it hurts you.

Do these count towards your final grade?

And is this just the answer - so you have to work out the method and the online resource is just confirming your result, or is it a step-step worked example that you are just copying out?

rewebster said:
so, if you didn't find the solutions on line, what would you do?(so, I would say, yes)

I would still do the questions before class. I'd just have to pray I'm right.
magpies said:
Nope not cheating. It's only cheating if it hurts you.

I like this logic.

Office_Shredder said:
Do these count towards your final grade?
And you it counts towards my final grades.

mgb_phys said:
And is this just the answer - so you have to work out the method and the online resource is just confirming your result, or is it a step-step worked example that you are just copying out?
It has most of the work, not just the answer. I'm not copying, I do the question all on my own. I can't whip out the solution manual during the class. I use it to double check my work. If I'm wrong i'll try again till I get it or use the solution manual to point me in the right direction.

You are depriving yourself of the opportunity to practise questions under exam conditions and you are giving your instructors a false impression of your abilities.How is this going to help you, for example in your finals.Yes it is cheating and the main person you're cheating is yourself.

Ok so I see the problem... You are not sure your problems are right so that means you have not learned how to self check them. I would complain to your teacher that they need to teach the class how to self check problems. Then you will no longer need to worry about if you got it right or not.

you should attempt the problems on your own first.

as for questions online, you can blame lazy teachers for much of this (assuming you think it's a problem). pearson et al. are making the lives of teachers easier by providing "test banks" for their texts. and even for the computer-generated ones where the variables are changed, the questions are basically the same, even if the outcome is different.

Is this high school or college?

I can answer from the perspective of a high school teacher:

If you are actually working through the challenge problems of the textbook, all of them, on a regular basis, that would put you way ahead of 99% of the student body. Even if you are checking the solved problems online, you are giving yourself a lot of experience in all the variations of problem solving. More experience is better. If you can manage to recall the methods of solutions to any of the challenge problems, then I would give you (limited) credit.

But if you are in college, and especially 2nd year or up, I'd think that you are getting by with a loophole. If this is the case, then I agree with lisab.

Go to the instructor and ask him: "Did you know that all the solutions are posted online?"

He/she could say "Yes I do." And if he leaves it at that, you are free to go.

If he goes "They ARE? You're JOKING!NFW!" Then at least you score a point for honesty.

Isn't this just like revising? Do you know exactly which problem will come up?
If, at the end of the day, you have to learn how to solve each problem...then the assignment is doing to you what it's meant to do anyway.

Here's a valuable lesson that applies far beyond this particular situation: it's cheating only if you get caught. The wisest course of action, particularly given that you've already handed in assignments based on solutions you've found online, is to keep your mouth shut.

I really see very little that's ethically questionable if you are using the solutions to help you understand the subject better. Of course, if you're just copying them verbatim and not putting any thought into what you're writing, then it'll come back to bite you in the *** come the examinations or if you're asked by your instructor why your solutions are identical to ones he's found online.

It's not cheating. Whatever was done before class does not matter. For all they know, you might have had that course before, but you hadn't been allowed to waive it off.

shoehorn said:
it's cheating only if you get caught.

This is absolutely deplorable. Shame.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

DaveC426913 said:
This is absolutely deplorable. Shame.

Deplorable? Don't be silly.

No I agree its absolutely deplorable.

shoehorn said:

there are certainly times when it is preferable to keep your mouth shut

magpies said:
No I agree its absolutely deplorable.

Not sure where you stand after your comment:

It's only cheating if it hurts you.

I'm honestly amazed at how many people are writing in saying it's not cheating. Wow.

And yes, "it's cheating only if you get caught" is truly a deplorable attitude.

shoehorn said:
The whole world now knows that you cannot be left alone in their living room, for you will pilfer the silverware.

I ment cheating yourself. I guess I should say this all my posts are ment to be deeply philosophical on many levels.

DaveC426913 said:
The whole world now knows that you cannot be left alone in their living room, for you will pilfer the silverware.

Well, that would be more stealing than cheating, which, although equally subjective, is a different kettle of fish entirely. :wink:

It sounds like OP is just saying that he studies the material before class, checking his work against the answers he found online, and then is capable of completing the assignment on his own in class. Or maybe I am missing something. If that's the case I am not sure how that is cheating.

shoehorn said:
Well, that would be more stealing than cheating, which, although equally subjective, is a different kettle of fish entirely. :wink:

Nope. A person that believes rules only apply when someone's looking is a person that believes rules only apply when someone's looking.

Philosophically, they have no internal moral compass and rely on others to police them.

DaveC426913 said:
Nope. A person that believes rules only apply when someone's looking is a person that believes rules only apply when someone's looking.

Philosophically, they have no internal moral compass and rely on others to police them.

Again, you're being silly. Indeed, now you're winking suggestively at outright idiocy.

DaveC426913 said:

ah...Dave when I read the post you quoted, my first two things in my head were, "Nope" and "no moral compass".

Actually the cheating kettle fish exists in the same lake as the stealing one.

I, for one, think there's great promise in these aquatic metaphors.

TheStatutoryApe said:
It sounds like OP is just saying that he studies the material before class, checking his work against the answers he found online, and then is capable of completing the assignment on his own in class. Or maybe I am missing something. If that's the case I am not sure how that is cheating.

also, i think the primary motivation for this kind of weekly assignment is to keep students from getting behind in their studies.

TheStatutoryApe said:

In matters of ethics, it's always best to err on the safe side. The OP should let the instructor know that the answers to the quizzes are available online.

shoehorn said:
Again, you're being silly. Indeed, now you're winking suggestively at outright idiocy.

You can't possibly be serious.

Let me clarify, because there must be a misunderstanding.

It's only cheating if you get caught. i.e. if you do not get caught, you have done nothing wrong.

How widely do you spread this philosophy? Does it only apply to school studies?

If you are finding the solutions online, knowing you will have an in-class assignment asking to provide those solutions for your grade, then yes, it's cheating.

On the other hand, if the questions are always from the challenge problems in your book, then spending time working out the problems BY YOURSELF so you can do them faster on the in-class assignment is fine. Presumably, everyone else in the class has this same opportunity as well, and your teacher/professor may be using the in-class assignment a bit like a pop quiz to see if you're keeping up with your studying and doing practice problems at home.

I'd only worry about it if it negatively impacts your ability to do well on the exams. It reminds me of something my General Physics 1 professor said... Homework was 15% of our grade, and he admitted he knew that there were solutions for every problem posted online somewhere.

He then went on to say, and I'm paraphrasing, "I don't care if you just copy the solutions. It doesn't hurt me any. But if you do that, you're likely to get a 0 on my exams, and wind up with a 15% for the whole class."

I don't see why the Op has to tell the teacher... The teacher should know better then to give out homework that's so easy to do. In my exprience if he tells the teacher he will end up getting the blame for it by both the teacher and the class that is probably using the same site he is to "do" the homework. It's not really his responsiblity but I guess he could take it up and it might be fun to see the responces even if it comes at his expense.

<h2>1. Is cheating in class assignments ever justified?</h2><p>No, cheating is never justified. It goes against the principles of academic integrity and can have serious consequences for both the cheater and others involved.</p><h2>2. What counts as cheating in class assignments?</h2><p>Cheating can take many forms, including but not limited to copying someone else's work, using unauthorized materials, and collaborating with others when not allowed. It is important to understand the specific guidelines and expectations for each assignment to avoid accidentally cheating.</p><h2>3. Why do students cheat on class assignments?</h2><p>There are various reasons why students may choose to cheat, such as feeling overwhelmed by workload, pressure to get good grades, or lack of understanding of the material. It is important for educators to create a supportive and fair learning environment to discourage cheating.</p><h2>4. How can we prevent cheating in class assignments?</h2><p>Preventing cheating starts with clear communication and setting expectations for academic integrity. Educators can also design assignments that are more difficult to cheat on, such as personalized projects or in-class exams. Encouraging open communication and providing resources for struggling students can also help prevent cheating.</p><h2>5. What are the consequences of cheating on class assignments?</h2><p>The consequences of cheating can range from receiving a zero on the assignment to failing the class or even being expelled from school. Cheating also undermines the value of education and can damage one's reputation and future opportunities. It is not worth the risk.</p>

1. Is cheating in class assignments ever justified?

No, cheating is never justified. It goes against the principles of academic integrity and can have serious consequences for both the cheater and others involved.

2. What counts as cheating in class assignments?

Cheating can take many forms, including but not limited to copying someone else's work, using unauthorized materials, and collaborating with others when not allowed. It is important to understand the specific guidelines and expectations for each assignment to avoid accidentally cheating.

3. Why do students cheat on class assignments?

There are various reasons why students may choose to cheat, such as feeling overwhelmed by workload, pressure to get good grades, or lack of understanding of the material. It is important for educators to create a supportive and fair learning environment to discourage cheating.

4. How can we prevent cheating in class assignments?

Preventing cheating starts with clear communication and setting expectations for academic integrity. Educators can also design assignments that are more difficult to cheat on, such as personalized projects or in-class exams. Encouraging open communication and providing resources for struggling students can also help prevent cheating.

5. What are the consequences of cheating on class assignments?

The consequences of cheating can range from receiving a zero on the assignment to failing the class or even being expelled from school. Cheating also undermines the value of education and can damage one's reputation and future opportunities. It is not worth the risk.