Is the function f(t) continuous at t=0?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the function f(t) = {0, -2<t<0 {t, 0<=t<2 is continuous everywhere in the domain -2<t<2. However, it is not differentiable at t=0. This is because the derivative of the function is undefined at t=0, making it not "smooth". The derivative of f is 1 for t>0 and -1 for t<0, but since it does not satisfy the "intermediate value property", the derivative cannot exist at t=0. This is similar to the function |x| which is continuous everywhere but not differentiable at x=0 due to the undefined derivative at that point. Additionally, the Fourier series of f
pivoxa15
Is

f(t)= {0, -2<t<0
{t, 0<=t<2

continous everywhere in -2<t<2. I am a bit concerned at t=0

I think yes, after applying the epsilon delta argument but I rememer that a similar function

f(t) = {-t, -2<t<0
{t, 0<=t<2

is not differentiable hence not continuous at t=0.

Have I made a mistake somwhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is perfectly possible for a function to be continuous and not differentiable.

So

f(t)= {0, -2<t<0
{t, 0<=t<2

is continuous at t=0?

What is [itex]\lim_{t\rightarrow0}f(t)[/itex]?

I have to say it is 0 because from the left, it must be 0 since the function is 0. From the right, it is 0 since the function is t. f(0)=0 is defined so it should be continous. But is it differentiable at t=0?

This means
f(t) = {-t, -2<t<0
{t, 0<=t<2
is continuous as well. But it is not differentiable at t=0 is it? How come?

Yes, the limit from both left and right is 0 so the limit is 0. Since the limit there exists and is equal to the value of the function, the function is continuous at 0.

Your f(t) is, of course, |t| between -2 and 2. It is well know that |x|, while continuous, does not have a derivative at x= 0. Essentially, it is not "smooth": there is a corner at x= 0 so the tangent line there is not well defined. More precisely, if h< 0 then f(0+h)= f(h)= -h so
(f(0+h)- f(0))/h= -h/h= -1 while if h> 0, (f(0+h)- f(0))/h= h/h= 1. The two one-sided limits are different so the limit itself, and therefore the derivative at t=0, does not exist.

It's easy to see that the derivative of f is 1 for t> 0 and -1 for t< 0. While the derivative of a function is not necessarily continuous, it does satisfy the "intermediate value property" so the derivative cannot exist at 0.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, the limit from both left and right is 0 so the limit is 0. Since the limit there exists and is equal to the value of the function, the function is continuous at 0.

Your f(t) is, of course, |t| between -2 and 2. It is well know that |x|, while continuous, does not have a derivative at x= 0. Essentially, it is not "smooth": there is a corner at x= 0 so the tangent line there is not well defined. More precisely, if h< 0 then f(0+h)= f(h)= -h so
(f(0+h)- f(0))/h= -h/h= -1 while if h> 0, (f(0+h)- f(0))/h= h/h= 1. The two one-sided limits are different so the limit itself, and therefore the derivative at t=0, does not exist.

It's easy to see that the derivative of f is 1 for t> 0 and -1 for t< 0. While the derivative of a function is not necessarily continuous, it does satisfy the "intermediate value property" so the derivative cannot exist at 0.

So |x| is everywhere continuous but not differentiable at x=0 because the derivative function is undefined at x=0.

Back to
f(t)= {0, -2<t<0
{t, 0<=t<2

If I wanted to represent this function as a Fourier series than I am assured that the Fourier series is uniformly convergent in -2<t<2 since f(t) is continuous everywhere in this domain as have been shown. Or could this not happen because if an infinite series of functions is uniformly convergent than the function it represents is continuous everywhere in the domain. But the function being continuous everywhere dosen't always mean uniform convergence of the series representing it. In other words is it 'if' or 'if and only if'?

Last edited:

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a mathematical function that has no sudden or abrupt changes in its graph. This means that the graph of a continuous function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

How can I determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if it satisfies the three criteria of continuity: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function at that point exists, and 3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at that point.

Can a function be continuous at one point and discontinuous at another?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point and discontinuous at another. As long as the function satisfies the three criteria of continuity at a particular point, it is considered continuous at that point.

What are the types of discontinuities in a function?

The three types of discontinuities in a function are removable, jump, and infinite. A removable discontinuity occurs when there is a hole in the graph that can be filled with a single point. A jump discontinuity occurs when there is an abrupt jump in the graph. An infinite discontinuity occurs when the function approaches positive or negative infinity at a certain point.

How can I use continuity to solve problems in real life?

Continuity is an important concept in real life, especially when dealing with physical and natural phenomena. For example, continuity can be used to predict the behavior of a system over time, such as the growth of a population or the spread of a disease. It can also be used to analyze data and make accurate predictions, such as in weather forecasting or financial modeling.