Is this function differentiable?

In summary, the question is asking to discuss where the function f(x,y)=(x^{3}+y^{3})^{2/3} is differentiable in R^{2}. The partial derivative f_{x}(x,y) is taken and it is shown that it may not be differentiable at (0,0). The definition of a partial derivative is used to verify that the partial derivative at (0,0) exists and therefore the function is continuous for all (x,y), implying differentiability. However, there is a hint given to verify the inequality |x^{3}+y^{3}| \leq 2(x^{2}+y^{2})^{3/2}. Upon further examination, it
_Steve_
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if I got this question right:

Discuss where the following in [itex]R^{2}[/itex] is differentiable:
[itex]f(x,y)=(x^{3}+y^{3})^{2/3}[/itex]

So I take the partial derivative:

[itex]f_{x}(x,y)=\frac{2x^{2}}{(x^{3}+y^{3})^{1/3}}[/itex]

and see that f(x,y) might not be differentiable at (0,0), so I used the definition of a partial derivative to see if the partial derivatives exist at (0,0):

[itex]f_{x}(0,0)=lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{f(h,0)-f(0,0)}{h}=0[/itex]

I thought this was the end of the question, since it shows that the partial derivative at (0,0) does exist, and thus it's continuous for all (x,y) (showing that f(x,y) is differentiable)
But under the question there's a hint, it says:

Hint: Verify the handy inequality [itex]|x^{3}+y^{3}| \leq 2(x^{2}+y^{2})^{3/2}[/itex]

Did I miss something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at f(x, y) in the neighborhood of the line y=-x .

Look at fx(x, y) in the neighborhood of the line y=-x .

Last edited:
So I'm not done the question? What am I looking for at the moment to show that it's differentiable?

Sorry, just trying to understand the question better! :)

Ohh, I see what you're saying, when y=-x, the denominator of fx = 0, so would I just say that f(x,y) isn't differentiable when y=-x? Or do I have to go back to limits and use squeeze theorem somehow? (Just a cause cause the hint looks like squeeze theorem :P)

Related to Is this function differentiable?

What is a differentiable function?

A differentiable function is a function that has a derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the slope of the function can be determined at any point on the graph.

How can I tell if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it is continuous and has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This can be determined by taking the derivative of the function and checking for any points where the derivative is undefined or discontinuous.

What does it mean if a function is not differentiable?

If a function is not differentiable, it means that it does not have a derivative at every point in its domain. This could be due to a discontinuity or undefined point in the function, or because the function is not continuous.

Can a function be differentiable at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at some points but not others. This is typically due to a discontinuity or undefined point in the function's domain. In order for a function to be differentiable at a particular point, it must have a well-defined derivative at that point.

Why is differentiability important in mathematics?

Differentiability is important in mathematics because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It helps us determine the slope, rate of change, and critical points of a function, which are essential in solving many mathematical problems and applications.